1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Breaking G's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by theroan, Apr 7, 2006.

1. I play a warwick thumb 5. Its relatively new(used but new to me). I do a lot of slap and pop, I've broken a couple of G's within a month. Is this normal cuz of all the slap or should I get it checked out?:confused:

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Where do the Gs breeak? Bridge? If so, it is probably the bridge.

3. Ya they break at the bridge.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Broken strings is usually down to wear at the bridge or nut because of a rough surface cutting into the string, or REALLY over-physical playing. If this isn't your first bass and you didn't have a problem before, you need to get the bridge sorted out (may well be a sharp edge on the G saddle or, less likely, where the string is anchored).

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    If the problem isn't at the bridge or the nut, then you really need to lighten up your technique...

MM

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a rough edge on the bridge

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I read the following trick somewhere. When stringing/re-stringing your bass take a clutch penicil and "draw" in a bit of the lead into the saddles of the bridge and at the nut.

This is because Graphite is a very "slippery" substance and allows for the string to move a bit move freely at the the bridge and nut.

8. I had the same problem with my thumb 5 a few years back. An old bass tech showed me an easy fix & its been great ever since. Just take 6 inches of one of your old G-strings and rub it back & forth through the string saddle for about 20 seconds or so. This flattens any sharp edges down & the groove is the perfect fit for your g-string. Ive never had any probs with mine since I did this. Saves money on tech's too!!!
    Rusty.

9. Thanks guys, this is all extremely helpful!