Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

breaking in a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Apr 8, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I just got a "brand new" bass, I've had it about two months. It has a maple neck and fingerboard. I've been experiencing some "neck settling" (I think), I've had to repeat the setup twice already.

Is this common in new basses? Is there a break-in period where the wood is still soft or something? There may be a heat-related or humidity-related component to it, we've been having some strange weather recently and it seems the changes are more significant on some days.

I play this bass "a lot", at least two hours a day, it's fantastic when the action is on target, but it's been tending to raise a little over a period of several weeks. I can't really tell what's happening, the neck doesn't look like it's bending, but maybe the fingerboard is settling, or maybe I'm experiencing some truss rod slippage, is that possible?

It seems the changes are slowing down, but it's hard to tell. I just set it up again, and it's perfect right now, so we'll see what happens. If this is a normal thing in a brand new bass, how long is this supposed to go on?

2. Are you adjusting the truss rod or just adjusting the bridge for string height and intonation?

3. I'm curious if anyone else would vouch for truss rod slippage, I swear that's happened to me once.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, all of the above. Nothing major or dramatic, just a little movement. That's why I posted, I'm curious whether others have experienced this or whether I'm going completely insane. :)

5. speck

speck

Jul 15, 2002
    Sacramento CA, USA
    I bought a new MIA Jazz about two years ago and I remember having to adjust the truss rod a couple of times the first month, but the changes did become less frequent. Now, I adjust it about every 6 months (minor truss rod tweaking to keep the action as low as possible.)

Speck

6. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I experienced the same thing with my new Bongo. Put on new strings and adjusted the trus. The next morning, I had to tighten it another 1/8 turn. Seems to have settled now.