Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Breaking in a New Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Donne Demarest, Jul 3, 2001.

1. I just bought new replacement speakers for my older cabinet. Someone told me that new speakers need to be broken in.

Is this true?

If new speakers DO need to be "broken in" how is it done and why?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    just play them as normal and theyll "open up" after a few days...its a really subtle effect...

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Speakers are not horses.
    Just play you probably won't even notice anything.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Eden recommends that you break in their cabs when they are new. I forget how you're supposed to do this though. Something like play them at low to medium volume for 20 hours. I guess its kinda like a new car. You don't want to push it to the max right out of the dealer's lot.

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    There may be some merit to the idea of "breaking in" a speaker. The materials in the suspension may sit stationary for a long time after manufacture, and their flexibility may be improved after a number of cycles. Some polymers (probably more applicable to the surround than the spider) have funny properties in that they have "memory". I'm not a materials scientist, but I would not be surprised that a cone sitting in one position for a long time would sort of develop a "set". Eden's owner's manuals seem to support this idea, too - they claim that the bass response will improve after some hours of playing, which would correspond to the suspension's losing stiffness.

I would guess that the best way to break in a speaker is to use it at moderate volumes for awhile (maybe 10 hours of playing) and then gradually move up to full - rather than blasting it will full force right out of the box. I have no idea about the consequences of not doing so.
    - Mike

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The speaker designers I've spoken to say just go ahead and use it normally. If the drivers need mechanical breaking in, normal usage will get them there the fastest, within a couple hours at most.

-Bob

7. Thanks Bob.

Got the new speakers and discovered one of the eight was bad. Sent for a single replacement.

Wouldn't have discovered the problem unless I drove it full normal stage volume. Babying it wouldn't of allowed me to find the out for weeks that the one speaker was a lemon. Thanks again.

8. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    maybe u broke it by playing it at full volume right out of the box ;)

as for breaking in speakers, atleast with home theater speakers, you are supposed to play pink noise through them for 48 hours. i don't know if the same goes for bass speakers though.

9. Perhaps I did break it.

But I found the weakest link!

Goodbye.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Speakers really don't need that much breaking in. If they have something wrong with them, though, no amount of breaking in will make them better.

-Bob

11. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    well i couldn't tell a difference after breaking in mine, but it might help. i'm just quoting advice from various audiophiles.