Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Breaking in new speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Petebass, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is there a list of Do-s and Dont's for breaking in brand new speakers?

Also will the speakers sound different when they're broken in?

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Brand new speakers should be ready to handle their power rating from the get go. No break-in required. After the gigs and the years pass they do become looser and will reflect that in the tone. Some people prefer that sound. I like 'em new and tight.

Turn it up!

3. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Most manufacturers, like us, recommend breaking them in for 4 to 8 hours at moderate volume. This is not voodoo or urban legend, after that short break in, our cabinets do sound different, as I'm sure most others would.

At one point when Bill “The Buddha” Dickens was here testing our cabinets, he was playing through a Whappo Jr. After asking us to plug two of Whappo Jr. cabs in at the same time, he thought one was defective. It turned out that the only difference was that one had not been broken in, it was not defective, but it did sound different.

I can only speak for our cabinets, but there are other manufacturers that will recommend the same thing in their owner’s manuals.

We feel strong enough about it that we break in every cabinet for 4 to 8 hours before it leaves our facilities…just to be sure.

Whappo
    (AccuGroove Bass Cabinets)
    Not Spam…just answering a question.

4. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    is breaking in your cabinet subjective to company aswell?

if not how do you recomend breaking in a cab?:meh:

5. I owned a couple of Eden XLT cabinets and, in the user's manuel, they recommend a break in time where you keep the volume at a moderate level to let the speakers settle in. On the other hand, the Bergantino cabinet I just got didn't have a manuel and no mention of breaking the cabinet in.

6. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    thanks for the reply because I'm thinking about getting some eden cabs very soon;)

7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Steve, I'd recommend breaking them in by playing bass through them at moderate volume for 4 to 8 hours. Another great way is to run music (via CD) through them at moderate volume for 4 to 8 hours.

8. What possible damage could one due by playing them hard right out of the box?

9. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Technically, there should be no damage to a Bass speaker by starting out full-tilt. Sound is the number one issue here. You’re opinion on whether you like the sound of a cabinet or not could very well change after that first 4 to 8 hours.

With a guitar (you know…the skinny string guys) speaker that has a full-paper edge, a slower break-in period should be considered as immediate and abrupt excursion could change the properties of the edge's response.

10. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Do speakers have a "lifespan"? is there some point where they loose their sound quality?

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Everything has a lifespan. But if you look after them, they last years and years. My JBL 15 had been gigging heavily for over 10 years and still sounds excllent. It's never had a recone and I don't plan to give it one. Don't get them wet, don't clip them (though some will argue with this), and just be sensible in how you use them.

I wasn't worried about damaging the new speakers. It's just that I relly like the way they sound. They're punchy and snappy, just how I like it. And I was a bit concerned that they may lose some of that snap as they break in? It's been so long since I bought anything new, and back then I didn't realise speakers have a break in period.