Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Breaking Out Of The Groove?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zephir2004, Mar 16, 2004.

1. zephir2004

zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to pose a question that’s been on my mind. Sometimes I find that if I’m playing a lot, I start to get locked into playing grooves, melodies, phrases and fills that all seem very similar to each other. Sometimes I find that putting the bass down for a few days or weeks can actually help free up my mind, body and creativity. It kind of gets me out of my rhythmic lock. The problem is that I find it hard to put down the bass for the extended period of time need to clear my mind. Also, and even worse, when I do, I feel I jeopardize my playing because my hands start to quickly go out of shape and I stop practicing for a while. Do others have this problem and does anyone have any suggestions on how to break out without putting down their bass for an extended period of time? I have tried other things also but I’d like to find out what other people do.

2. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I have noticed something similar in my playing. I don't worry about my hands because I touch a bass every day - sometimes just to do a few scales.

To get out of the rut, try playing a different instrument. Keys or guitar would be great. Study your chord theory. Practice singing basslines without your bass. Or, take a lesson. I spent last night hanging out with my teacher and getting a tune up on my chord basics from him. I flat out told him, "I'm in a rut and need to break my pattern". It worked.

Another thing you could do is take up the drums. Go buy a practice pad and sticks for $20 and work on drum patterns on a pad. You will find your groove improved and that you have new ideas about rhythm after about a week of this.

Anyway, just some suggestions.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I find a hiatus can be helpful. What I do is play another instrument, in my case a guitar. I go back and forth and always look at the instrument more creatively after a long break.