1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Breaking Out Of The Groove?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zephir2004, Mar 16, 2004.

1. zephir2004

zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to pose a question that’s been on my mind. Sometimes I find that if I’m playing a lot, I start to get locked into playing grooves, melodies, phrases and fills that all seem very similar to each other. Sometimes I find that putting the bass down for a few days or weeks can actually help free up my mind, body and creativity. It kind of gets me out of my rhythmic lock. The problem is that I find it hard to put down the bass for the extended period of time need to clear my mind. Also, and even worse, when I do, I feel I jeopardize my playing because my hands start to quickly go out of shape and I stop practicing for a while. Do others have this problem and does anyone have any suggestions on how to break out without putting down their bass for an extended period of time? I have tried other things also but I’d like to find out what other people do.

2. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I have noticed something similar in my playing. I don't worry about my hands because I touch a bass every day - sometimes just to do a few scales.

To get out of the rut, try playing a different instrument. Keys or guitar would be great. Study your chord theory. Practice singing basslines without your bass. Or, take a lesson. I spent last night hanging out with my teacher and getting a tune up on my chord basics from him. I flat out told him, "I'm in a rut and need to break my pattern". It worked.

Another thing you could do is take up the drums. Go buy a practice pad and sticks for $20 and work on drum patterns on a pad. You will find your groove improved and that you have new ideas about rhythm after about a week of this.

Anyway, just some suggestions.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I find a hiatus can be helpful. What I do is play another instrument, in my case a guitar. I go back and forth and always look at the instrument more creatively after a long break.