Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

breaking string... at the bridge....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ldiezman, Feb 22, 2002.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Ok guys here is the deal.. I don't play particularly hard when i play. i have a fairly light touch. However my G-string on my bass has broken about 5 times since I bought My bass about 6 months ago. I was looking at it today and I notice that where my string rests at the bridge, it is slightly crooked.. it lines up and is perfectly striaight down the neck. but right on the sadle it seems to press up against one side. Now do I need to go buy a new saddle for that string? I'm getting kind of frustrated b/c I almost feel like i have to rely on my backup bass more and more now.. it is kinda upsetting

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    that could be it.. but both my bass prof. and I have noticed that the string everso slightly it bending at the saddle.. I know its wierd.. i've never heard of anything like this on SR.... it is kinda depressing

3. There is most likely a burr on the saddle, its fairly common on guitars (grumble). If the string is bending slightly on the saddle, the burr is probably cutting into the string and thus breaking it.

Have u tried lowering the saddle on the string so it doesn't bend as much??

:D:D

Merls

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah I did lower it a bit to see if that helps.. but I still see a slight bend in the string... Its just so wierd... i don't understand it really.. I am going home for spring break and i am going to take it to the place I bought it.. They do some really good work as long as they know you.... and talk to them about it...

5. Keep us informed of how it goes bud. ;)

:D:D

Merls