Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Breaking Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Jun 15, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    How often is it natural to break a string from re stringing the bass with standard amount of useage?

2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I've been playing my own bass since 1980, and I have never broken a string. I don't think anyone should (unless the string itself was somehow faulty, or if the bridge somehow had a burr in it). Other than that, if you break one, I'd think you're playing too hard.

3. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I have broken quite a few strings over the past 4 years of my bass playing but I dont think this is down to my technique I think it is because I play hard because that the is the style that the band im in require, and if I play softer in that situation, for me it doesnt give it enough punch. Is there another way around not breaking strings?

4. How are you EQing? Punch lies in the mids...

5. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    A louder amp?

6. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    My amp handles the situation well I have a trace elliot ah3007 going through two trace elliot 4x10s, I dont use lots of eq mainly just in the mids and a lil in the treble for up top.

7. Well then you really should have no problems in the punch department. What/what type of bass are you using?

8. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    i mainly use my mike dirnt custom bass, my fender precision or my fender jazz all of which have a nice puncy sound. All I said was if i play softer I dont get as much punch as I would like. Therefore would have to eq more in therfor loosing volume when wanting to go loud(what i heard anyway)

9. I broke a string once in about 1998. It was the E and I couldn't believe that it broke.

10. hmmmm, my last idea is that you use some heavier strings. I have only broken a string once, a .065 D. And then they were old. That jazz should have plenty of punch in it, provided you have the tone cranked. Ditto with the Dirnt and the P really. Are you playing fingerstyle or with a pick?

11. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    i tried using lighter pics before and that went down badly. In a big riff that i used to do in one of my songs its a strummed powerchord riff and basically my pic split into half then half again, that I think was a pink jim dunlop pic. i mainly use the yellow jim dunlop i think they are .73mm could this be whats hammering my strings? - to answer your question i use pics in the band situation but outside i use both

12. It really shouldnt, provided you're not being way too agressive. To me, it really sounds like you are. Either you need to spend some more time with your EQ or you have a completely different idea to what punch is to me and probably everyone else.

13. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    im not really agressive in my playing, a prime example is mike dirnt i play like him as he inspired me to play so if you think he plays agresivly then so do i lol

14. Right then...Well, I don't think he goes around breaking strings all the time.

Check all of the following:
    • Whether your bridge has any burrs on it
    • The gauge of your strings, they might be too light for your style
    • How you are EQing. You wont lose that much loudness, especially with your rig. Boost those mids!
    • Crank the tone on your basses
    • Your technique!

15. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    i think i play too hard.....

16. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I play with a lot of aggresion and things like that, so I broke a low E. :D

17. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    once i broke a g, but it was while tuning. it was weird i brought it up to tension and it just unwound about 4 inches from the ball end. i was kinda pissed, i didn't have any cash for new strings lol.

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've been playing the bass for 29 years. Not once have I ever broken a string. I've never even come close...

Personally, I'm of the Jeff Berlin school of thought: turn up the amp, turn up the instrument, lower the action, play with a lighter touch - and let the amplifier do the work...

MM

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Huh? But how hard you play - or don't play - isn't something separate from your technique. It's a part of your technique, along with a number of other factors that define your technique.

If the amount of force you use when striking the string isn't a part of your technique, then exactly what is "technique"?

MM

20. Schwalli

Schwalli

May 27, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You either eally hammer on those strings or there's a burr somewhere! I've been playing for about 10 years, the last 1 1/2 to 2 years with a punk band which requires me to play fast and aggressive. I play hard using a 1mm pick and the only string I've ever broken was a defective D string that broke a soon as any tension was put on it.