1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Breaking them in...how much time do you give it?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Basschair, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hello folks,

I'm wondering how long you feel the breaking-in of new strings should last. Please understand that I'm fully aware of the fact that there are multiple variables which have an effect upon this...if you could give a general estimate, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Also, for those of you who feel that the strings you choose are such that your bass must have time to adjust to them as well, how long do expect to wait before your bass adapts?

Here's why I ask: for a long time now, I've been using lower tension strings (not low-low, just lower). Recently, I had my bridge replaced which had a huge impact on brightness and volume. I decided to go all in, and to try out some Corelli TX's (G,D), and a Spiro Weich (A) which is more tense than the Flat Chromesteel it replaced...well, at least at the moment it is.

Now, the bass is super bright. I mean SUPER bright. I'm thinking about a month should be spent waiting and playing to see how the voice develops, but am curious to see what you would expect. I don't expect it to completely develop by then, but I do expect a significant difference...unless of course I'm just kidding myself :rolleyes:

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I'll say about 2 sometimes 3 weeks. It should def be broken in after a month unless maybe you're not practicing enough. :)

3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    :p

With the new bridge, I wasn't sure what to expect, so I was giving it a little extra time.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I think the string matters more than anything.

The perlon core strings like Obligato and Dominant seem to settle in very quickly.

Some folks don't really call spirocores broken in until they've been on the bass six months or so!

Never tried Corellis, so I can't speak to that.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    It took mine about a three weeks to a month to lost the edge. But then, they are bright strings.

6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Which type of Corellis were those?

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    370 TX. I had them on for about ten months: lots of sustain, clear pizz, nice arco response but a little cello-y, warm but bright tone. My only big complaint was the E wasn’t loud enough on my bass. I have a bright bass so you have to add that in as well. Right now I’m using Jargars [Forte] and like them much better: more over all volume, E is balanced, more bottom, even easier to bow. If I had a darker and louder bass I’d think they’d have worked better for me.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I put animas on my bass in July and they are still changing their characteristics! ;)