1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Breakthroughs...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When I practice, I play around, and it seems that every couple of weeks, I make some breakthrough rather suddenly. I'll go along for a while, at the same skill level, and then like a gift from above, I'll suddenly get better. Not like "practice make you better" better, like someone flipped a switch, and I can suddenly do something, like pop a lot better than five minutes ago, or start playing a lot faster with increased accuracy out of the blue. A litteral breakthrough. See what I mean? This ever happen to you?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yup, for the last 30+ years. Not often enough though. One thing I learned to do when it "happens" is not to hammer away at it because it usually deteriotes as I keep at it, (for me anyway). Once I think I've got it, I leave it alone and see if I still have it tomorrow. It never happens if I don't keep practicing every day, though.

Sounds like you just had this happen and got online.

3. The las thing I noticed that just clicked with me the intro to Around The World. I found myself suddenly able to play it at a more accurate speed, and with more accuracy overall, as well.
    Of course, since the last time I'd played it I'd been to several lessons, where I was working on a bunch of endurance/dexterity type stuff, so that might have helped. :p

4. Sometimes I will be practising a bass line for half an hour one night and I will get it right maybe once in 20 tries. Then maybe I'll watch some tv before going to bed and during the commercials I visualize myself playing the line, when I wake up the next morning I can usually play it 10 times better. This is really just a memory thing, if it is completely out of my skill range I still wont be able to play it worth a damn.

I can play Anesthesia but not Unsound by the Headstones, does that make sense?

5. I was practicing 'The Sinister Minister' by Victor Wooten and I was playing it over and over for like 2 hours straight, and all of a sudden, I was playing it extremely fast. All of a sudden my popping speed became blazing. Still not at Victor Wooten speed, but I couldn't believe what had happened. I guess it was motivation.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Isn't it cool. It always feels good. When this happens, record yourself.