Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When I practice, I play around, and it seems that every couple of weeks, I make some breakthrough rather suddenly. I'll go along for a while, at the same skill level, and then like a gift from above, I'll suddenly get better. Not like "practice make you better" better, like someone flipped a switch, and I can suddenly do something, like pop a lot better than five minutes ago, or start playing a lot faster with increased accuracy out of the blue. A litteral breakthrough. See what I mean? This ever happen to you?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yup, for the last 30+ years. Not often enough though. One thing I learned to do when it "happens" is not to hammer away at it because it usually deteriotes as I keep at it, (for me anyway). Once I think I've got it, I leave it alone and see if I still have it tomorrow. It never happens if I don't keep practicing every day, though.

Sounds like you just had this happen and got online.
  3. The las thing I noticed that just clicked with me the intro to Around The World. I found myself suddenly able to play it at a more accurate speed, and with more accuracy overall, as well.
    Of course, since the last time I'd played it I'd been to several lessons, where I was working on a bunch of endurance/dexterity type stuff, so that might have helped. :p
  4. Sometimes I will be practising a bass line for half an hour one night and I will get it right maybe once in 20 tries. Then maybe I'll watch some tv before going to bed and during the commercials I visualize myself playing the line, when I wake up the next morning I can usually play it 10 times better. This is really just a memory thing, if it is completely out of my skill range I still wont be able to play it worth a damn.

I can play Anesthesia but not Unsound by the Headstones, does that make sense?
  5. I was practicing 'The Sinister Minister' by Victor Wooten and I was playing it over and over for like 2 hours straight, and all of a sudden, I was playing it extremely fast. All of a sudden my popping speed became blazing. Still not at Victor Wooten speed, but I couldn't believe what had happened. I guess it was motivation.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Isn't it cool. It always feels good. When this happens, record yourself.