1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Breathing/Humming during audition

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by UFS, Mar 23, 2020.

1. UFS

UFS

Mar 23, 2020
    Hi all -

Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this...I inadvertently hum/breathe audibly while I play and got a comment back from a recent audition that my breathing was too loud.

I’ve tried to control this for a while but haven’t had much success with it. I know other musicians in the top orchestra in town that breathe audibly when they play but don’t feel comfortable asking them about this.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this ‘issue’? What have you done to mitigate the extraneous sound?

Thanks!

Edit to add: this only happens when I’m under pressure. Does not happen on the job.

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Bubble gum???

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :))

Not that I audition, and I know how important these auditions can be, but I have the opposite problem. I can't sing, tap, hum, whistle or breathe a tune while playing on any instrument including DB. Mostly habit I guess, I stopped singing when I got asthma and haven't tried again since.

3. sing-modulator

sing-modulator

Nov 23, 2014
    IL
    It really depends on the community. In some circles, it's hip to hum. In others, not so much. I think that this is definitely something you can conquer if you focus on practicing it, just like you conquered intonation, posture, dynamics, etc. Good luck!