1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Breivik 'Sane' and gets 21 Years...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
  2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Ya know, 21 years seems a bit ... unjust to me. Call me a crazy American.

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Not sure on their laws over there, but I've read commentary that says he'll never get out, despite that number. #lazylunchtimeiPhonecomment

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah....wow. Tempus fugit..
    From what I've heard in an instance like this, the sentencing borders on a "formality" as when his time is up, he'll be re-evaluated (wink wink) and although sentenced to 21 years, it's quite likely he wont be seeing freedom for a real long time. Or so it's been said. I'd really hate to think otherwise... :(

5. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    He's sane, killed 77 innocent people and will live during his 21 years of incarceration as well as afterwards. I agree with you, Funky Ghost, a bit unjust in my opinion.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I take it you mean unjust as in too short?
    I believe I heard 21 years is the max sentence they can dole out in Norway, but that they'd be able to keep him in longer.

7. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Yep, you are correct. He won't be a free man again.

8. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Well, it will be far more than 21 years, 21 years is the maximum you can be sentenced to in court in Norway. He will be kept in for far longer.

He is also being kept in solitary confinement during that time, that would almost be worse than death if there is no entertainment (which I hope there isn't).

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It depends. I think that in general, European systems of incarceration lean more toward rehabilitation than outright penalization? (someone please correct me if I have that fact wrong)
    So given the nature of this guy's crimes, I really wonder how his time spent in prison will be handled. Will they treat him like a monster (of which I believe he is), or will there be any thought towards rehabilitating this guy.
    Interesting thought.

10. 21 years is the max in Norway (and most other European countries), wich include the one year he spent in prison for his trial. After that, they may add 5 years every time they still consider him dangerous. At the other hand, he can ask for parole after 10 years, but considering the things he has done, I suppose he will spent the rest of his life rotting in jail.

But it's true; European sentences are way shorter than their American equivalents. I think that's a good thing. Jail is the most horrendous place to be. Everyday the same; the same building, the same room, the same inmates, the same food... And most of all, no freedom at all.

MOST criminals learn from that and start a new life after they have left jail. Giving them parole due to good behaviour only encourages that.

America needs to find out that being harsh, angry and violent towards criminals is in most cases not the solution.

(Just my humble point of view, please respect that and do NOT turn this thread political please!)

EDIT: He will not be treated as a monster. Norway is way too civilized to do that. Family of the victims were already content with 21 years in prison, where (I think) American families would demand the chair.

And please excuse my English, I'm Dutch and still learning the details of your language.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What does this mean? I see it around the internet here and there, but it doesn't make sense to me.

-Mike

12. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I think it's a reference to what kidz these days call 'twatter'. I think so, anyway.

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I think that it's the topic for a great conversation but these things seem to never turn out well..:(

My opinion on it - it depends on the crime and nature of criminal. It's a really complex thing. There truly are people who not only are better off never seeing freedom, but are actually better off altogether dead. (think - serial killers and such)
    Then again, there are waaaaay too many people here in prison due to the "war on drugs", these are people who should not only be actively rehabilitated, but in many cases should not actually even be there in the first place..

well, at least we're not China :)

14. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Rock and a hard place.

Declared 'insane' and they can keep him incarcerated indefinitely, but there is no sense of closure and accountability for his horrendous crimes.

Declared 'sane' and...well, you all read the story.

I read that he gets 3 cells to himself, including a gym treadmill and a laptop. It doesn't sound like the hole on Alcatraz, does it?

15. I vaguely remeber hearing that the recidivism rate in Norway is shockingly low.

16. Anything shy of removing him from the human race is unjust, in my opinion.

17. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Déjà vu -- I could've sworn we had this thread already.

18. well, maybe so, but i don't think he has to recid to be an awful danger to society. most murderers go one victim at a time....

however, i am not writing this to complain about him. what he did is known and the punishment is the punishment.

is there anybody here besides me who is deeply disturbed by this "attitude" (policy?...call it what you want) of...well, we found him sane, and we gave him the maximum sentence, but after he serves his sentence, we can just keep him locked up as long as we want.

i mean, what is that all about? if you can do that, why go through the pretense of giving him any sentence at all?

i find it very disquieting that a government just, essentially, has the power to do whatever they damn well please to a person.

if there is a law that says the maximum sentence is 21 years, and if the felon was found sane and hence GOT the 21 years, how can the government just arbitrarily decide they are going to keep him locked up for more than 21 years?

i think this puts us on the track to 1984, and the fact that none of you have even mentioned it just shows how like sheeple we have all (and i include myself) become.

the fact that this is a very unpopular person, who gets no sympathy from anybody does not change the facts.

if they can do it to him, who's to say next week or next year it won't be you or me?

i find this "abuse" of government power WAY more disturbing than the underlying crime.

davesignatureII-1.

19. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Sorry, but the government has no say in cases such as this. It is a legal issue handled by the courts.

And the fact that you think that such a system is more disturbing than the crime in question? Well, I'm not going to comment on that, as I don't really feel like getting perma-banned...

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Ha. Google that and see what comes up.