1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brian Bromberg new CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JacksonPeel, Mar 22, 2006.

1. JacksonPeel

JacksonPeel

Mar 22, 2006
    I just got turned on to this incredible bass player BRIAN BROMBERG. His new release is I guess a sequel to another that got a lot of kudos. I just got WOOD II from Amazon @ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f=pd_bbs_1/104-1949051-5895927?_encoding=UTF8

Great cover of "Shining Star" and I know the drummer's name Vinnie Colieuti or something like that.

Anyone tell me what other CDs I should grab from this awesome player?

Jackson

2. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    any.....
    i just heard a song from WOOD2 and i was digging it....
    this guy is very talented so any cd you get from him would be good

3. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Brian Bromberg is a great player with some very good CD's and some not so good CD's. I love his acoustic stuff and his Jaco tribute CD has some really nice "stuff" on it! He also released Choices it's a little too CD101ie/cool jazzie, which some people like but it's not for me!!!His latest before Wood2 was Metal which I can do without also......

4. The 1st 'Wood' is also quite excellent, the solo bass covers of 'Come Together' and 'All Blues' are worth the price.
    "Jaco" is a full blown Jaco tribute cd that will stand up to all the rest. BB plays acoustic and multiple electrics and just blows thru all the tunes.
    For more the rocking, electric and piccolo side check out 'Metal' who needs a guitar player when you play piccolo like that?
    "Choices" is okay but it more commercial or happy jazz, but it get radio play and makes money so whatcha gonna do?
    I also recently picked up a cd by Alan Broadbent " 'Round Midnight" it's a really nice acoustic jazz piano trio session with Joe LaBarbera on drums.
    Most of Brian's earlier solo stuff is in the commercial jazz vein and not all that inspiring but nice listening.

5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out Basses Loaded

6. I picked out Metal without knowing anything about him, or the album. I just saw the cover and bought it. I made a great choice! Hopefully I'll pick this up soon.

7. Brian Bromberg is a highly underrated bass player who's certainly not shy of experimenting. You've probably heard him more times than you know as he's backed some of the biggest names in the business.

He's good on electric but his upright playing is truly astounding. I love Wood. Still have to listen to Wood 2. Jaco is also very good (a mixture of URB and electric basses).

8. I still listen to Wood, and i do consider his version of Come Together one of the coolest solo bass pieces i have ever heard