Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brian Bromberg . . .

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tyjacks, Mar 11, 2003.

1. tyjacks

tyjacks Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    Anybody here had a chance to check out Brian Bromberg's tribute CD, JACO. In my opinion this CD is a must for a bass players listening collection. His playing is phenomenal, this CD is not a 'Look, I can play like JACO' exercise. This is a great example bass playing; it's truly an inspiration to listen to. A great example using the double bass, fretted and fretless electric basses together.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's nice sounding stuff. The cover's good for laughs, too.

3. Every bassplayer owes it to themselves to check out any of Brian Brombergs work, he is criminally "unknown" and under-rated.

4. Nice double bassing on Portrait of Tracy. Almost makes me want to get a DB...

5. I dig it a lot.

BRIGHT SIZE LIFE by Pat Metheny is a MUST-HAVE, too!...

6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    i saw Brian play with Stanley Jordan at the Jazz Bakery in L.A. a few years ago. An amazing show!

7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    BB is on a short East Coast tour right now. I'll see him mid April at Yoshi’s Jazz Club in Oakland, CA. (I'll be providing his cabs for the gig)

As already stated, Brian's even more amazing in person. Plus, he's a great guy with a wicked since of humor. An absolute must see live.

8. I can't wait to see him april 12 in HB

9. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    "wait...how is he in california AND on the east coast?"

My comment was, "BB is on a short East Coast tour right now. I'll see him mid April at Yoshi’s Jazz Club in Oakland, CA. (I'll be providing his cabs for the gig)"

Translated: East Coast now, West Coast in a couple of weeks.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh, you're knocking Yoshi's now. I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

:D

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sounds great! I've been rediscovering old Jaco stuff recently, and then Bromberg's CD comes out.

It's not the kind of tone, or style of playing, that I'd use on my type of gigs... but I truely appreciate the mindset of the Jaco-style tone as well as Bromberg's many contributions to bassdom.