1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brian Culbertson - "Bringing Back the Funk"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by phdwiz, Mar 15, 2009.

1. phdwiz

phdwiz

Mar 11, 2009
    Has anyone else heard this one?!

Bassists extraordinaire Bootsy Collins and Larry Graham appear on one song each, along with Bernie Worrell (keyboard player for Parliament), Ronnie Laws, Ray Parker Jr, Tom Scott, Eric Marienthal, and singers Musiq Soulchild, Ledisi, and Perri. An awful lot of talent (and some tremendous bass lines) on one album.

My only real problem is that the bass line for Hollywood Swinging (an old Kool and the Gang standard) is totally screwed up, so that one song is almost unlistenable for me.

2. phdwiz

phdwiz

Mar 11, 2009
    Forgot to mention Morris on "The Groove" playing a wicked, funky 5-string bass line - one of the best tracks on the album for sure.

3. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    Never heard of him before. Thanks for the tip! I dig the cover of Everything is everything

4. I actually like Hollywood Swinging alot. Im just one of those that like a remake thats not always like the original. I think it did the orig enough justice while also bringing something new. The CD is straight banging though. Maurice Fitzgerald is layin it down!