Brian May Guitars is releasing a bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Regan Lay, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make. Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    WHY?

monsterthompson likes this.
  2. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    I would have to pass. I guess if it had different pickups, body, and headstock, it might pique my interest.:rolleyes: Just not my thing. I do like the 31.5" scale length though. Plus, as others have mentioned, price seems a little high. But that just me. I'm sure there are some that will absolutely love it, buy it and play it for years to come. I love that there's something for everyone out in the world these days.

3. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    I dig BM but didn't know there was a BMG. I see he's not employing a lot a guitar shape designers!

4. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    Astrophysicist and noted photo collector. Side gig as guitarist.

B-Mac, kobass, Iristone and 1 other person like this.
  5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Interesting. A little bit of EB0 and a little bit of Ovation Magnum in its DNA.

#ifonlyitwerea5er

6. The closest I would come to this one would be a 34” scale Gibson EB 3L in Cherry Red.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Brian May series of instruments are the result of a long-time collaboration between Brian May and Barry Moorhouse, the owner of The Bass Centre in England (the first bass-only store in the world launched in '84, which lead to The Bass Centre in Los Angeles, the first bass-only store in the U.S. which was in business from '86-'96.) As far as I understand, demand for the Brian May series of guitars is quite high and they are doing very well. With Barry being a bassist and his bass background, offering a bass (which has been available for several years as mentioned above) was a logical step. A matter of fact, The Bass Centre offers an entire series of artist basses as advertised on their website: The Bass Centre - London - England

I'm not sure if The Bass Centre retail store in England still exists, but their distribution is alive and well. Here's a link with some historical info: The Bass Centre Story - The Wapping Years

8. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

This particular bass came out in 2011
    Brian May Announces Bass Guitar Model

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Congratulations are in order...they recently sold their 100th BM bass!

Jeff Scott and nixdad like this.
  10. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    that is cool looking... +/- $1150 CDN might be a bit steep though for another bass...aughh and I see it is a short scale (not my fave IMHO, not wanting to start down that road, but not my thing at the moment, but could be persuaded to try again)

11. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I have a mini May it's mini for sure

q3ccKDTl.jpg

12. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Short scale, no fretless option. Meh.

13. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Well he and his dad made a guitar that has done a few shows and is on a bunch of albums that sold ok...

I forget what they made it from, the kitchen table or something like that?

nixdad, Killing Floor and jd56hawk like this.
  14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, I know...a guitar.

15. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    “Bring out the Hellman’s and bring out the best”

Snaxster, DrMole, TN WOODMAN and 2 others like this.
  16. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

I own a Brian May sig 6 string copy of his "Red Special," but mine is white (with tort! gorgeous). Striking guitar, great player, same pickups and switching. With a treble booster, a Vox AC or "Deacy" amp, a sixpence and the right touch, you can come pretty darn close.

But as a bass player, I would not want to copy the "Red Special" look. Just doesn't feel right. I'm a huge Queen/May fan (obviously) but not that huge.

ga_edwards and nixdad like this.
  17. Calvin Marks

Calvin Marks Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    why though?

18. I like it

19. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    Ticks a lot of boxes for me. I’d rock the crap out of it.

B-Mac likes this.
  20. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    Why not?

B-Mac, nixdad and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021