Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brian Minato (Sarah McLachlan's bassist)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by James Hart, Jun 13, 2003.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Anyone else really dig this guy? I stumbled upon Sarah in the early 90's following the release of "Solace". When the tune 'Possession' from "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" hit the top 40/MTV crowd I remember preaching the merits of a great bassist/bassline making a hit thou I'm still not sure who played on that track (liner notes claim 3 bassists on "Fumbling")... I'm assuming it was Brian Minato as it feels much like the more recent tracks that he is listed as sole bassist.

Anyway, I got an urge last night and dug out "Mirrorball" (live set from Sarah with Brian listed as bassist)... man I love Brian's lines!!! The whole band is happening, and Sarah has a damn sexy voice... but I think the bass is what I like most.

Such tasty lines and tone!

pjspecial likes this.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, saw him with Sarah at the Theater at MSG in late '97.

Through a record company friend, I had second row center seats. I remember some serious deep deep bass from that night, some tasty playing and a great groove. The drummer in the band (now Sarah's husband) is great also, and made for a great bass/drums combination.

I think he was playing a 70's jazz that night.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I don't think I've ever seen him with anything but block inlayed jazzes.

I dig the drummer too. It's a great band all around, great respect for space and texture!

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also think Brian's style fits Sarah's songs perfectly......nice deep tone!

5. In addition to attending performances in Montreal I have a couple of excellent concerts on tape, but I've only seen Brian playing his white Gibson-era Tobias.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    cool, I've only seen a few things with him performing. I'd love to see and hear some more of him.

7. Djsown1

Djsown1

Jun 22, 2009
    I heard the Possession track on the radio a few times and had other cars staring at me. I'm in a marked COP car with the song blasting.

Brian's Bass line makes this song. Then I saw some vids of Butterfly Butcher filling in - wonder why - and she was not even close to Brian in technique...just my opinion.

8. girlonbass

girlonbass

Apr 3, 2009
    Is Brian Minato the bassist on Surfacing as well?

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    He's on some of it. Jim Creeggan played upright bass and Pierre marchand played some synth bass on that album.

10. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    Mr. Minato's bass playing was one of the things that attracted me to Sarah McLachlan's music. It is off-center in a way that I've never heard before but it does groove. Pretty nice sound, too, and I'd like to know more about that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  11. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I'm a huge fan of Sarah McLachlan and her band for 20+ years. While some of the material is a bit overproduced for my taste, the discipline and musical respect in the band is clearly there. What fun it would be to play in that band.

Sarah McLachlan has the voice of an angel. It's a cheesy thing to say, but I don't know a better way to say it. And she is dead sexy, to boot.

12. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    Having heard that live album, I'd have to say: Especially to girls. Bless their hearts.

13. pjspecial

pjspecial

Jan 6, 2010

14. pjspecial

pjspecial

Jan 6, 2010
    Love this guy too. Check out fretless playing on Witness - live Mirrorball. Amazing tone and his performance of that song taught me so much about when to END a note. He creates and releases so much tension inthe way he interacts with the snare.