Brian Moore i4/i5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just got a chance to finally try one of these out. They are very nice. The first thing I noticed when I picked it up was that it is VERY light. I checked it though, and there were no dead spots like many light weight basses. The action is very low, with no buzz. The bass plays excellently, and has a very nice neck contour. Very fast.
    It has a very nice tone! I can'y really think of a bass to compare it to, but it sounds very nice. It just has that perfect sound. It has nice growl if you want it, but can also be very smooth. Activating the slap switch gives about the best slap sound I've heard.
    The construction on the one I played was flawless. It had a very nice finish.
    If they made a 6 I probably would have bought it.

Anyone else played one of these?
    There were a few things that worried me. Plastic nut, no name bridge, no name pickups, no name preamp.
  2. alaskabass

Dec 31, 2001

I played the i4 and liked it so much that I bought one to use as a traveling (replaceable production neck-thru) companion.

Your comments regarding the construction, feel and tone are a reflection of my observations as well. Bass Player mag reviewed the i5 back in the Jan. 02 issue. Their comments seem to echo my sentiments regarding the "i" series basses.

FWIW the OEM parts are very good with the exception of the bridge. The gold finish on the bridge is rubbing off to reveal the underlying chrome finish. Good excuse for me to upgrade the bridge in the future. ;)

One other note worth mentioning is the "FF" designation found on some instruments indicates a finish flaw. Very minute flaw (nobody can find it unless I point it out) but should by priced accordingly just the same. The quality control stateside does exist and rather than
    ignoring defects the instrument is stamped on the back of the headstock according to company standards.

Overall I would say it is an excellent "bang for buck"
    bass. Technical support is good too. Any questions I've had were answered in a honest ,timely manner.

Satisfied owner,
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I saw file marks on the frets of the one I tested. Also, the binding wasn't flawless, but then I've seen binding muckups on instruments costing twice as much.

Overall, a very nice budget instrument.
  4. You can't beat the tone to price value on these basses. The 2 other basses that are very nice in the same price range area IMO are the Dean Edge Improv (also neck through) and the Godin BG basses (bolt-on neck).
  5. My brother has one. I like it quite a bit. It has a nice tone, and a good feel to it. I'm personally not crazy about the paint on the neck, though. I like to "feel the would." Overall I pretty much aggree woth what people have been saying. For the price, it's one of the nicest basses I've played. I like the wayt it looks too.
  6. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah I don't like the paint on the back of the neck either. It still plays really nice though, that aside. I don't think I'm going to buy one, but If I was in the market for a 5 in that price range I'd grab one up!

Anyone know if they ever incorporated the midi output into the ibasses? It was mentioned in BP, and some of their guitars have it.
  7. I think that the midi thing is just for the guitars (so far).
  8. Looking back on my first post on this thread, I can see that I meant "wood", not "would". Just in case anybody was confused.
  9. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    I've been playing the Brian Moore I5 for about a year now. It really is a fantastic bass. Great tone, perfect construction, great balance and feel. It is one of the best basses I've played, period.

Given the price, I think it's the best bass within working man's budget. Not considering the price, it holds it's own against the high end basses.
  10. firechicki

Jun 6, 2002
    My hubby had an Ibanez bass. He's really developed his slapping - he was also starting to get a buzz problem at some of the clubs they play with the old bass. He got an i4 several weeks back and he loves it. He's had some back trouble, so the weight was a big factor. He dropped the action on it and put lighter-weight strings on it, and says it's perfect.
    When he brought it home and tried it on his amp for the first time, he dragged me out to the garage (wife thinking, "Oh, I have to pretend it sounds better than the old one.") and it DID sound better! Lots better. In fact, his pedal board is still sitting in the garage, because he's stopped using it - he likes the sound that much.