Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brian Moore I4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Fellas,
    I have a problem. I keep buying stuff trying to increase my tone. Here is what I have so far:

Ibanez EDA900
    GK1001RB w/ 2x10 combo
    SWR big ben 18
    sansamp Di

In the beginning of the buying spree, I thought the combo was lacking bottom end because my bass had a very processed bottom end. It is really hard to explain, but it isn't warm, and kinda walks up and down in freq when I play an open note. the E string sounds thin, midrangy, and super directional. very unpleasing.

So I added the big ben. It added more athority on the lowest octave, but the tone still sucked. I just sounds processed. The sansamp helps, but its still bad.

So two days ago I realized that my combo and big ben are not the problem. It's the bass. Some people like this bass, but I can't find my tone. So of course I read this site about a ton of different basses, and many people recommended the P-bass over the Jbass for it's warm bottem end. Well, i played them today (MIA standard and also a MIA Jazz), and I didn't like the P anymore than my ibanez. The J was actually warmer than the P, which surprized me. I still didn't like either that much.

Discouraged, i called the salesman over and did the A,B,C comparison of the jazz, P, and an eda900 they had. The J had a smoother warmer E string, but it was still a little weird. Not what I was looking for.

So the salesman brings over this beautiful quited bass that I didn't recognise. it was a Brian Moore i4. I played it, and it was unbelievably warm sounding. I couldn't believe it. I played it, and it was fast. Many neat features like through body neck. When you played the E string, it rang true with a warm smooth tone. I really liked it's color too. Great bass! wonder what this sounds like on my rig. I demo'd it with my current rig!

Pople who know how this bass sounds can help me out. Are their other basses that have the tone like the Brian Moore? I can't believe I didn't like the J or P, but I didn't. The Brian Moore is a line I have never heard of. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    thanks,
    Wes

2. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I played a Spector Euro 4 today. Also teh exact sound I want with all the tone turned down. Its $1399 though...
    Wes

3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I have never played an i4 before, but I can tell you that you have way more choices than just an i4, J, and P. My advice is to visit all your local music stores and play every bass they have in stock.

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I did. I went clear around the room. I started at the Squire and ended at the Padullas. I liked the Spector Euro the best, but that was at GC. The I4 is at the local store though. Tried everything there too. So far, I have only found two I liked.
    Wes

5. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    What's your price range? Also keep in mind that if you can't find something that you think you might like, you can always buy from an online place that allows returns.

6. The Brian Moore is an excellant bass for the price. It's probobly the beest Korean bass I've ever played. My brother has one, so I know the bass pretty well. It's not really my type of sound because of the through neck, but it's still a great bass.

I would take a look at Godin basses if I were you. they're another good choice in that price range.

7. Not a fan of Brian Moore basses.

I guess their guitars are pretty good, but I don't think they understand basses or bass players (despite what their literature says).

The binding on the body could irritate your right arm after a while (just like with the Fender Aerodyne).

But, hey, it's your $$$.

8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I went back in and played it, and for some reason I couldn't get it to sound the same way as before. Maybe it was in my head, or maybe I just really liked the Spector Euro 4...
    Its still a great looking bass. I think the active mid control is the best feature. My eda900 doesn't have a scoopable mid.
    Wes

9. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    I played a Brian Moore i5 for a while and really liked the bass. Overall, it has a good sound,
    great construction, and under a grand. I recently traded it in and payed up for a Modulus.
    The Brian Moore basses lack a little bit of the low end punch I think. I had to use a Sansamp DI
    to put a heavy low end in. The Brian moores have awesome midrange and very sharp high end
    .....but a their a touch lacking and the low-end ummphf.