Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brian Ritchie

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by slackdaddy, Aug 3, 2004.

1. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    I have always thought that Brian Ritchie was really underrated. He is one of my all time favorites. Always thinking and playing outside of the box. Are there any other Brian Ritchie fans here?

2. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Yeah, the first Femmes album should be required listening to all

3. Great bass player. Those first two Femmes albums should be required.

(Even though I was friends with his ex-wife for years, I still got a huge kick out of him using my bass rig for a show!)

4. I agree. Totally on top of the beat and a little out of tune at times, but it's the *spirit* of those records that grabs me. I saw them live once in DC and they blew the roof off the place.

5. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I thought this was cool, I just got back from playing a show in Milwaukee (we flew there from Atlanta) and I was concerned about whether management had arranged backline. Well, they did. The Violent Femmes lent us their bass and guitar rigs. I couldn't believe that I was playing through Brian Richie's amp. He was supposed to come out but the inclement weather kept him away (so I was told). It was a great sounding Trace Elliot set up.

6. I just checked your profile! Damn, I was going to see that (I actually have Fly Me Courageous in my CD player in my car right now!) but I opted for Beatallica instead. How did the show go?

7. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    It was cool! Milwaukee was a fun town. It was cool to see where Kevn grew up! The weather was a bit nasty for a good portion of the day but there were some die hard fans out and luckily the rain stopped before we went on. The derailers were fantastic. That Beatallica show sounded interesting. We should be coming back to Milwaukee in a few months for the "Sun Tangled Angel Revival" tour. The record comes out on September 21st and should be in stores nation wide. "Fly me Courageous" is a great record.

8. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Fly Me Courageous, That was Drivin 'n'Cryin Right.
    Hey Golden Boy, if I remember a past thread correctly, you were the bassist for Bodeans. Correct?

9. PM me before you get here! But it'll be winter. :eek: I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the record. I haven't seen Kevin since 92 or 93, it was Kevin and Chainfall (basically Die Kreuzen with a friend on guitar)- ask him about that nite. No, really ask him, I want to know how that went I- was so plowed I don't remember a damn thing about the show! :p

10. Fly Me Courageous was Drivin' 'n' Cryin.' No, sorry Chris, haven't played with the BoDeans, but I did own the guitar that was used on the first record!

And I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night either... :p

11. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I just love that first record. I always wondered if those were real drums or fake ones. I finally decided it was a combination! :D

12. lownote2

lownote2

Oct 9, 2004
    New to site. I've looked all over the internet and not found very much at all about Brian Ritchie anywhere else. The fact that he is mentioned here let's me know that there are other bass players that really appreciate the femmes music. I have almost every CD they have. I agree, Brian Ritchie is very underated. Or at the very least, there are just not enough VF fans out there to appreciate his playing. He is a very talented musician, and I love his style. He's the reason I went out and purchased an acoustic bass myself, and I never realized how much fun I could have with it. I've never seen the femmes in concert, they never come around here, but someday..........

13. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Hey Golden Boy, Sorry so long in getting back to you. I didn't know you replied till the new post! Yes, Love, hope, sex, and dreams. Incredible album. Bought it both on vinyl and cd. Especially on the hi-hat. If it's not a machine, there must be a REALLY tight gate on it.

14. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    May issue features Brian Ritchie!

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    An excellent interview - I gained newfound respect for him, so much so that I went out and bought the first CD (I had it on tape but never got around to getting it on CD).

16. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    You should check out some of his "Shakuhachi Club NYC" CD's as well. The man is a bass monster and does it on his terms. Glad to finally see him getting some attention.

17. That is one crazy fretless Wishbass he's shown playing: +40" scale and the upper horn connecting to the headstock. :eek:

18. Man, Brian's playing is just so intense. Just as expressive angstwise for the Femmes as Gordon's vox, IMO. A longtime influence on me. Great tones from that big ol' EB Earthwood bass, and his versatility as a musician is amazing.

I'ma have to pickup that BP issue reallll soon, now.:hyper::bassist: