1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brian Ritchie

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RavynWolf, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Anyone heard of, or remember this man?
    If you don't, he is the bassist and co-founder of the band Violent Femmes.
    I was listening to some Femmes today, and I noticed the sound of his bass. To me they sound like acoustic strings, anyone know for sure, and if so, are there any setbacks from stringing an electric with acoustics?
    Anyhow, I thought I would just share.
    He is a great bassist IMO, and I thought I'd give some recognition.
    here is a good example of him in action.
    Ravyn

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    He was in an issue of BP a few years back. Really cool interview, and a nice EB Earthwood bass!

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    FYI, He posts here occationally.

4. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor

Aug 6, 2008
    PDX
    Interesting you should bring up Brian Ritchie. I just listened to my girlfriends copy of Hallowed Ground the other day. I was always under the impression that the stuff after the VF's first album wasn't very good. I was wrong! Great album, with some really interesting bass playing.

5. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    He's pretty damn talented. Definitely one of those bassists whose band wouldn't be the same at all without them.

6. We play blister in the sun. I learned it from this.

If that's him I'm pretty sure how he gets the acoustic sound on that song. :)

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    They are definately acoustic strings, because he's know to play an acoustic bass most of the time. A saw them a while back, and he had this enormous black acoustic with an awesome sound. I wish I knew what brand it was.

8. The playing is indeed interesting! Most of the songs wouldn't have much justice without it.

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oh, definitely. The second album is really strong, IMO--I need to find a copy on CD. "Never Tell", in particular, features great work by Ritchie.

10. ronniequeue

ronniequeue

Oct 22, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    He's a very talented multi-instrumentalist as well. I love his aggressive style and sound, and he's a KILLER pick player. What other albums do you guys like besides the first two?

11. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    They won't work, you'll get almost no signal, as pickups work by magnets, and bronze is not magnetic, though the core of the string will be picked up, mabye, it'll sound weak and terrible no matter what.

He uses Acoustic Bass Guitars.

12. Love Brian's playing, and that old issue of BP with him as the cover feature is more than worth tracking down. I too always assumed any Femmes beyond the self-titled weren't so good, so I'll hunt down Hallowed Ground.