1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brian Wilson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by browner, Oct 27, 2006.

1. browner

browner

Jul 22, 2006
    London
    I know that Carol Kaye played on at least the 'pet sounds' sessions but I think that he doesn't get nearly as much recognition as he deserves on this forum....? Surely one listen can provoke some praise of some amazing and inventive lines?:meh:

2. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    You're right, man. I dig his playing on I Get Around and stuff like that.

3. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    This needs a bump.

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Brian Wilson came up with a lot of great bass lines - probably transposed from piano. He was also a pioneer in using synth for bass - check out some of his stuff from the 70's.

He's just an all-around badass composer - knowing what to do with a bass goes along with that.

5. browner

browner

Jul 22, 2006
    London
    I've just seen what a 'bump' is, so....bumped!
    "good vibrations" and "here today" are particually pretty lines

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Wilson wrote the bass parts. They were usually played note for note by hired studio bassists.

Carol Kaye played on "Good Vibrations" and the majority of Brian Wilson's Beach Boys recordings during that era.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Bob Lizik has for over 5 years been the Bass player for Brian Wilson and he's recorded a few CD with wilson as well.

and on the tours he's used Laklands.

8. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    If ya watch Brian play he uses the old thumb style. Before slappin' came along some players would use the thumb to strum or pull the string. Some basses used to come with a little finger rest on the topside of the pickguard so thumbstyle players could anchor a couple of fingers and use the thumb on the strings.

He played bass on the first Beach Boys tours until he decided touring was no fun. He was replaced by a then unknown (to the public) Glen Campbell. Glen played a lot of the BB lead guitar lines and solos in the studio with Tommy Tedesco doing rhythm. Kaye did a lot of the studio bass parts although I don't know if it was her exclusively.

Read the book "Hal Blaine and the Wrecking Crew" for some session details. Read "Heroes and Villains", the BB story for dirt. Hal is too much of a gentleman to dish

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There was a documentary made by a company in Finland called "Carol Kaye-First Lady of Bass". It's about 3 years old and they interviewed Carol and she talked about many of these sessions and played some of the famous bass lines. She mentioned how Wilson wrote all the bass parts and she read them. One segment of the documentary is a brief interview with Brian Wilson and a segment with Wilson and Carol sitting in front of his piano at his home playing a couple of these classic songs. Her playing was just as good as on the original sessions and it was nice to see them reunited.

This documentary was shown in Finland, a couple other European countries, and, early this year, on Canadian television. A drummer friend of mine taped it for me and I've watched it several times. It will probably be shown in the USA at some point soon. It's too bad you guys haven't had a chance to see it yet. It's quite informative, and entertaining and besides the bits with Wilson, there is a short interview with Ray Charles, another with producer Perry Botkin and others. Carol also demonstrates her playing techniques for getting a good recorded bass sound. It is definitely worth watching if you get a chance to see it.

I'll give you an alert if I hear word of it being shown there.
    '

10. TOMANO

TOMANO

Oct 31, 2006
    The Good Vibrations Box Set has a disc containing isolated tracks of Pet Sounds. It's amazing to hear songs like that pieced together. Brian was a genius. He is fried now.

TOMANO

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Here's a clip of Brian Wilson with Bob Lizik on Bass.

12. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Brian Wilson is a musical genius. That is all.

13. +1,000! when you can awe the beatles, you're a musical giant.

14. browner

browner

Jul 22, 2006
    London
    .....and he's just been inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame. Nuff said!!