1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brice 4 string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Feb 2, 2003.

1. How are the Brice 4 string fretless's from Rondo ? I like the Essex fretless but the gold plated and marks on the fretboard turn me away from it. So I was wondering if anyone has tried a Brice 4 string fretless because I want to get started in one. Just something to use besides my plain ESP B-50 fretted :) So any knowledge on this bass is wecome !

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Check the last few pages of the Essex Megathread. A fellow talkbasser just got an unlined 4 string Brice fretless, there are pictures and an initial review. Bottom line: they are nice.

3. OK thanks

4. How does a fretless compare to a fretted for slapping and popping ? Because if you can't slap or pop on a fretless or it's really hard I might change my mind.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    It is possible to slap or pop on a fretless, but the tone is an aquired taste to say the least, and most people do not like it. I would definately advise trying a fretless out first. If your really into slapping and popping, a fretless probably isn't the choice for you.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    A lot of people slap and tap on a fretless. As far as slap is concerned, I wouldn't say that it is diffucult, just...different. And it CAN sound very good. Tapping, from what I understand, is harder.

But if I could make a suggestion...don't look at a fretless as a bass similar to a fretted one, but sans frets. I think it is better to look at it as a separate instrument in it's own right. Maybe tapping is tough, but there are things you can do on a fretless that you can't do on a fretted...just open up your mind and explore the possibilities.

7. Thanks to the replies. I think I'll look into fretless in a year or two when I have more experience. For now since I just chipped my tooth weightlifting, I'll gather some moolah up and get that Sunburst Essex I've been wanting :)