Brice 4 string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Feb 2, 2003.

1. How are the Brice 4 string fretless's from Rondo ? I like the Essex fretless but the gold plated and marks on the fretboard turn me away from it. So I was wondering if anyone has tried a Brice 4 string fretless because I want to get started in one. Just something to use besides my plain ESP B-50 fretted :) So any knowledge on this bass is wecome !
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Check the last few pages of the Essex Megathread. A fellow talkbasser just got an unlined 4 string Brice fretless, there are pictures and an initial review. Bottom line: they are nice.
  3. How does a fretless compare to a fretted for slapping and popping ? Because if you can't slap or pop on a fretless or it's really hard I might change my mind.
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    It is possible to slap or pop on a fretless, but the tone is an aquired taste to say the least, and most people do not like it. I would definately advise trying a fretless out first. If your really into slapping and popping, a fretless probably isn't the choice for you.
  5. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    A lot of people slap and tap on a fretless. As far as slap is concerned, I wouldn't say that it is diffucult, just...different. And it CAN sound very good. Tapping, from what I understand, is harder.

But if I could make a suggestion...don't look at a fretless as a bass similar to a fretted one, but sans frets. I think it is better to look at it as a separate instrument in it's own right. Maybe tapping is tough, but there are things you can do on a fretless that you can't do on a fretted...just open up your mind and explore the possibilities.
  6. Thanks to the replies. I think I'll look into fretless in a year or two when I have more experience. For now since I just chipped my tooth weightlifting, I'll gather some moolah up and get that Sunburst Essex I've been wanting :)