Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice 405 fretless sound clip

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Magman, Feb 5, 2004.

1. http://home.earthlink.net/~badmonky/brice405.mp3

it won't be there forever though.

should give you an idea of what this instruments sounds like

Just me wanking around, I edited out the bits where my intonation was embarrasingly off ;-)

Setup:
    Active switch on, bass and treble set flat, set in middle of pickups (for the most part)
    Into Sans Amp bass driver, blend on full, drive at 50%, treble and presence at 60%, bass 50% (flat).
    SIT silencer strings
    Sansamp into edirol usb box

background noise is interference from computer.

MM

2. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    microtonality huh? ;) :D

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sounds clickety-clacky. Just new strings making I racket I think. Nothing a set of flats wouldn't fix (for me). :meh:

Sounds nice though, especially for the price.

4. I tend to like clanky sounds, but funnily enough I have been having problems with noise in the treble area when recording - finger noise etc. . Rolling off above 2k helps it out, but working at a clean technique is bassically the cure.

It also sits in a mix very differently than my other bass, and am having to reassess the parts I wrote on the fretted with fretless in mind. It overdrives differently as well.

Recording in general is a very hard task master because being out of tune is glaringly obvious, as is inconsistent technique.

I plan on working on microtonal music, years of listening to noise and abstract music tend to permanently alter ones perception of what "in tune" actually is. But still, being "off" the root note (if you have one) when you want to be "on" it just has to be practiced till you get there properly every time. Without a reference for more esoteric arabic scales and so forth (or just intonated normal scales) its very hard to do it by ear. I've found a couple of intervals though which I recognise from some folk recordings which are not part of even tempered scale.