Brice 6 String Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by _christian_, Oct 11, 2005.

1. For someone looking to jump into the 6 string bass world, is this a good way to start? I've been playing 4 strings for 4 years and I'm looking to try other styles now. These basses are affordable and they look pretty decent.Have any of you have had any experience with these before?

Rondo Music Brice 6 String Basses

Any comments will be appreciated :)
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Definitely a great bass to start with. Everybody who has one loves it.
  3. I really like my HXB-406...a really good starter 6
  4. Thanks for the comments :)
    Did you order yours off of the site that I put above or did you get it somewhere else? I've always been really cautious of ordering stuff from the interent and I'm wondering how your experience was if you went that way here.
  5. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Dont hesitate for a moment Kurt and the staff at rondo music are a class and always answer any questions quickly by e mail. I have ordered two SX basses and the service was unreal. My first bass had shipping problems and i received a full was fed- Xs fault Rondo shipped in a day and fed-X lost it. My second bass came last week. I ordered it at noon on Wednesday and it was on my front porch by 11:00 a.m friday :smug:
  6. 8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    I also have to hxb models, would trust kurt and company, great guitars, great service, No worries.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Definitely worth buying, and good for more than just experimenting. These are giggable professional instruments, at least my Brice V2 6 is. Not top quality but adequate and usable. Be sure to include a full setup at a local shop and new set of strings in the price you plan to pay (unless you have the know-how to do it on your own).

I don't know anything about ordering from them over the internet as I bought my Brice in-store.
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The Rondo 6 string basses are generally pretty good. I have played all of them quite a bit and I've owned the Prestige Z6NT. The Douglas bass is a little less substantial than the HBX's or Z6's, but for under $200 it's certainly good enough to find out if a 6 is something you'll like. The HBX's are dependable and sound pretty good, I personally don't care for the body style, but it's been really well received here by TBers.

The Z6 basses are excellent. These are definitely good, gig-worthy instruments that look great and play beautifully. Of course, at $450+ you begin to get into the debate about buying a new Brice or getting a good used 6er.

Realize that any of these basses will likely require a good set-up to make them really playable, and the stock strings are usually pretty bad ....
  9. I started with a fretless V2, and it's the nicest sounding thing I've ever owned (couldn't believe it was $200 new)...had to reposition the bridge back an 1/8" to get absolutely perfect intonation.

I picked up a fretted HXB406, and eventually sold it to get the Prestige Z neck thru. I love it - except for the electronics are a little noisy and the action (even after set up) is still a little high...but I can't go back to my Ibanez 5 string after playing it. Every now and then you can find one of these used in the 300 range.

Just wish they'd make something with a maple fb....
  10. i got it used, but i have ordered from rondomusic before, and i would recommend doing business with them...Kurt (the main guy) is probably the most helpful CS guy i have ever had to talk to, and you won't be disappointed!
  11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Along with my Smith basses I also have a fretless 6 Brice. Out of the box it needed a complete setup; strings, intonation, neck adjustments, and bridge adjustments. It has a two band EQ and although the acoustic tone of the bass it not great it sounds damn good for the price... you really could not ask for a better 6 at this price...

People who see it think that it is a fancy quilted top...
  12. I just recently picked up the "older" 34" scale HXB-406, and although it is heavy (ala Musicman), it sounds very good, in fact, sounds better than my Peavey Axcellerator! Crisp sound, and it still has the original strings on it (I haven't changed them out yet. The original owner never changed them, so a new set of strings may make it sound even better!)

For the money, it is the ONLY instrument to buy. In fact, I'd say it was worth about three times the price, . . . .at least! Let me put it this way. I was planning on eventually purchasing a 6 string from a custom shop, bought the HXB-406 to see if I really wanted to spend that much money, . . . . . .but now I plan on just keeping the Brice and spending the money I WOULD have spent on a custom on something else. ;)
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I also would not imagine ever replacing my Brice with anything. It is 100% adequate for my needs and sounds really fantastic (I have the old V2 with active pickups and passive EQ - very different configuration than all current models).
    I've been asked if my red Brice was a custom also with the red quilted top. Hilarious - "no it's not a custom, it was a sub-$180 floor model."
  14. Thanks for all the comments.
    Now I just need Christmas to roll around so I have money again!
    You all helped out a lot, the comments were appreciated and will be put to good use. :)
    Yay Bass! :bassist:
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have seriously been considering picking up a Brice 6er fretless to give it a try. For the price, even if I decide that I really don't need a fretless, how can I go wrong??
  16. My thoughts exactly :)
  17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'll buy one ASA they offer maple FBs.

How about it Kurt? :D
  18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Just went and looked at the Rondo site, and found that there are no 6 string fretlesses now. Hmmm. :meh:
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They will have more. Call them, or keep checking the site.
  20. I have an HXB-406, in fretless. It is an absolutely amazing bass and I got it for the paltry sum of 225 USD shipped.

Hell, I think it plays as good/better than a Warwick Corvette Fretless.

But that's just me.