Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice 6 String V2 Bass Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Nov 3, 2005.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I've got a line on an older Brice V2 6-string (the one that looks kinda like a Modulus), and I need some info from folks here who own one or have owned one.

What is the main body wood (alder, ash or something else)?What's the string spacing at the bridge?
    Is the quilted top actually quilted maple, or is it fotoflame? If it's real, how thick is it?

Oh, and feel free to post photos of any stock or upgraded V2 sixers. Thanks in advance.

2. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Bump.
    Come on... somebody here's gotta have one of these.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't have one, but I do know that all Brices have real flame, no photo.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Agathis.
    No idea. Relatively narrow. I find it quite comfortable.
    It is real, and it is paper thin. You can see the Agathis grain through it! Similar to other inexpensive instruments from Korea quilt tops. The Fender Jazz 24 comes to mind.
    Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    Nice bass, I like mine. The bridge is garbage. Very curious stock electronics. Active pickups with a passive EQ wired VOL/VOL/BLEND/TONE. Yes you read right, a volume for each pickup and a blend control. Makes no sense whatsoever. I ignore the blend because I like VOL/VOL/TONE anyways.

5. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Do you have any recordings with this bass?

6. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks. I've never owned a sixer, tho, so "relatively narrow" is somewhat vague to me. I was hoping to get a more exact measurement, but I can understand if you're at work or something.[/quote]

I was thinking about replacing the bridge. That's kinda why I want the spacing. I did get the bass (ebay, $157 plus shipping, a good deal, IMO). I made a decision based on an eyeballing of the string spacing. But I wanted to replace the bridge and tuners anyhow -the gold, IMO, is over the top. I've got black tuners (bass is trans green) already, and now I need a bridge. WD Music sells what appears to be an exact replacement, but you say it isn't very decent. What's wriong with the stock bridge? Sound transmission? Tuning/intonation issues? Fit/Finish? Saddles too tall for low action? Basically, what would you change about it?

Aiiiieeeeeeeeeee... that IS strange.
    How do the stock pups sound?

7. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No.

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's really soft crappy metal. The "E" String anchor on mine is bent from installing my first set of strings. Putting the ball ends into into the pockets for them is an incredible PITA. The "B" string channel is barely wide enough for the string, I had to force it like crazy. The range of adjustment is not long enough to get me proper intonation on every string - though it's very close. Just a cheap piece of junk altogether. A 6 string bent metal Fender style bridge would be so much nicer, or better yet a Mighty Mite bridge like my Dean Edge 5 had. Honestly it's my only big gripe with the bass. However, it is sufficient and does work to anchor the strings and allow (almost all) the intonation and height adjustments you need.

Aside - 6 string bridges at www.allparts.com

I agree all the gold is over the top. But it is what it is.
    Really nice! Ultra hot output - it may overdrive your input stage on your amp if you don't have an active input.

9. Hear ya -

But you can't beat these (well, yes you can) if you're playing in a bar and risk the chance that someone will knock the thing over, or outside on a November night here in the north (like I'll be doing tomorrow).

I have the same six string fretless, and the intonation was off on the bottom B string. I removed the bridge, drilled holes a 1/4" back, repositioned it and set it back up. Intonation is GREAT on it now.

Have had two other Brices, and they play and feel great. But I must agree - when it comes to the electronics, they SUCK! Staticky, odd layouts, and everyone of them is different - like they're experimenting but never tell you what they are. If you let them sit for a couple of weeks, the pots will "dirty up" like crazy, and you have to play with them to get the crackle out again.

If I had the spare $$$, I'd buy some barts and nice Demeter pre-amp, drill another hole in the body, and put it up against almost anything out there.

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm not sure I voiced my opinion of the actual sound of this bass as much as you asked for.... Two words doesn't really cut it...

Anyways, I find the sound of my Brice V2 to be very nice. I would not dream of replacing these pickups. They both sound wonderful on their own and mixed together, I've rarely heard a bass with as many usable pickup combinations as this one. I'm very impressed with the sound.

11. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    So the bass is on the way, and should arrive Thursday. You all say the pups sound great, e-tronics suck. I'll probably get replacement pots and go Vol/Vol/Tone with a spare pot/knob to fill the fourth hole.

12. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The electronics don't "suck" per se, it's justa curious configuration. If I were to rewire it myself I'd go VOL/TONE/VOL/TONE like a Les Paul guitar. As it is I just ignore the Blend and use it as VOL/VOL/TONE, a configuration I like.

Don't panic if the bass needs a setup. mine was ridiculous when new (I bought it as a floor model at the Rondo store), but with some setup tweaking it came out pretty good.

13. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Well, the bass arrived about an hour ago. As you pointed out, Philbiker, the figured top is extremely thin and not especially beautiful. The trans green finish, OTOH, is very nice- dark, rich, and durable while remaining reasonably thin, not marine-grade thick like I expected.

Having had no other 6-stringers with which to compare, I have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed with the pups and general construction. I've heard some folks say horrible things about agathis, to the point where I passed on a Cort 5-string a while back. But there seems to be nothing wrong with this species of wood.

Came with almost new strings. Plays like it's had someone go over it and set it up. I do think the nut slots could be a bit deeper, tho. The neck is nice and thin from front to back, and the fretwork is very nice. String spacing is 82mm. The bridge is not a good design, because the saddles will not allow the strings to sit as low as they can, given the great fretwork (I don't know what's up with that, but I'm seeing a lot of bridges now that sit higher than they need to, apparently because some builders think these instruments are being bought and played by gorillas). Anyhow, a Carvin/Hipshot bridge has the same spacing, less .75 millimeters, but new holes must be drilled. Add this to the price if you're an experienced enough player that you appreciate the lowest action possible. I'll check the intonationability :) later this evening. The neck pocket is tight, and the overall feel of the body and neck is well done and solid. Not well done and solid "for the money", but well done and solid, period.

The active pups are fine, clear, bright, and more smooth than punchy IMO. They measure in at 4.5" x 1.5", which means that if you ever get a desire for something else, Barts or EMGs will drop right in. Given a choice, I'd prefer passive pups and active electronics with a passive option. I definitely do not like the idea of having to remember to unplug the bass everytime I put it down, but I won't hold that against the bass- that's just me being lazy. The control cavity and cover are both shielded, but the edges of the cavity (where the cover screw holes are drilled) are not. Kind of makes the shield job pointless if it isn't done right, but at the price, I won't complain. There's no hum to speak of anyhow.

The pots are crackly as hell, but that cleaned up with some pot cleaner and turning. The vol/vol/blend/tone setup is strange indeed. My guess is that these bodies are/were being made for more than one builder, and the four holes are there for an active preamp used in the same bass sold by another company (I recall playing a four-string that looked EXACTLY like this bass but was branded "Morgan Monroe". Obviously, Brice ain't the only people using whatever factory this body came from). Still, I'd rather they used a vol/vol/tone/tone, but I'll change this up later.

The bottom line? This instrument is well worth twice what it cost when it was new, and three times the $185 I paid for it used. It's a great platform for upgrades if you feel the need, and a giggable bass for anyone who isn't traveling cross country in a plane or bus, or anyone who isn't a slave to brand appeal. The bridge is the only thing I'm dead set on replacing, and the knobs and tuners will be replaced with black ones I already own just to match the bridge. This'll keep me happy while I work on my Warmoth J-style project.

14. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Auriaprottu,

Thanks for the information, that pretty much agrees with my experience with this bass. Please bookmark this thread and add pictures and information when you upgrade the bridge, as I am seriously considering doing that myself. Also, if you're curious, check the neck for shims, from what I read here these basses almost always had necks shimmed, that may (or may not) help with your setup options.

And as always on talkbass..... No pics, no bass. :D