Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice 7-string ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5fretless, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Hi Guys,

Do you think the folks at Rondo could persuade the Brice people to make a 7-string bass - say at $500 - with a 35" scale and through body string loading - I'm sure that would be a winner - what do you guys think ?

Bill

2. I don't the market is big enough to support that kind of price... for a bit more than that you could plump for a used Conklin GT-7.

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Not unless Warmoth starts making a 7-string neck.

4. Warmoth makes the necks for Brice?

5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I think it's more of a case that Brice buys there necks from Warmoth. The Brice headstock matches the Gecko headstock perfectly and the fretboard also has the overhang. I looked into this after I got my brice 6-string fretless last year. Of course, I can't prove it, but I am guessing that Brice buys from them in bulk for a basic neck. Dig through the Warmoth site and you'll see what I mean.

If anyone has a brice and wants to un-bolt the neck to check I bet you'll find a Warmoth logo.

6. Ok - I guess I'll have to take your word for it as I have never owned either a Warmoth nor a Brice.

I got curious though, and looked at the Warmoth headstocks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the Brice ones:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Brice headstock looks longer to me... but on the other hand the heel does look like the Warmoth one.

The Warmoth necks alone seem more expensive than the Brice basses... but perhaps they are made en masse during machine downtime or something at a big discount.

7. in my opinion, i'd say that there isn't much of a demand for a 7-string bass. i know there are a lot of seven stringers here, and a few that wouldn't mind finding a cheap seven, but it seems like there would have to be more of a demand for one...but who knows? maybe someday they will...

8. BW, do you have anything to support that claim? I don't think that's true.

These are the differences that I can see off the top of my head...
    - Gecko's are 5 piece laminates - Brice are 1 piece
    - Gecko's have an assymetrical profile - Brice are symmetrical
    - Gecko 6'ers are 3.3" at the 24th fret - Brice are 3.625"
    - Gecko 5'ers have 3 widths at the 24th fret - 2.875", 3", 3.125" - Brice 5'ers are 2.75" at the 24th fret.
    - Gecko tuners are wider spaced than Brice
    - Gecko necks begin at $245 - Brice basses are between $259 and $329
    - The two headstocks have different shapes but both are similiar to Rogue and Ibanez
    - I've owned 2 Brice 5 string necks and neither was a Warmoth and neither was close to Warmoth standards or quality - no offense Rondo!

Then there are some other details that don't add up. Warmoth can do what they do, as well as they do it, by being very efficient in what they choose to develop for sale to the public. I've seen this many times and experienced it too when I've found out they don't make something I surely would have expected them to make. The programming and R & D required to make precise fitting parts that will stand up to the demands of the professional is not a simple, inexpensive task. You can see evidence of this by simply perusing the Warmoth price list. Their items are a bit expensive but their quality certainly demands it. To keep a balance, Warmoth can't simply provide a bunch of variations to their design. It would be to expensive and too labor intensive to produce something that can't be part of the regular production process. So that brings us back to the Gecko and Brice. Kurt himself has said that Rondo assembles their instruments from components they purchase from overseas. That statement alone would preclude the use of expensive domestic parts. But it goes further. Warmoth sells their necks unfinished as standard - finishes are an upcharge. There is no way in the world that Rondo could afford to buy Gecko necks (even at wholesale) with finishes and put them on $300 basses. And since Rondo doesn't do the finishes themselves, that pretty much answers the question.

BW, I've taken time to put out this comparison because I think it does both Warmoth and Rondo a big disservice to make claims like that. People that don't know and won't care to find out will read that and run with it to the detriment of both companies. Warmoth is way above Brice quality and they shouldn't be linked with anything else but the best. Brice is one of the finest low-end instruments out there but it is just that - a low end instrument that just happens to play like one that costs much more. However, a purchaser of a Brice should not be mislead to think he's getting a Warmoth part when he's not.

9. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I have not looked at the Brice models recently. They have obviously changed the headstock design. The Brice V2 that I have has a headstock that matches the Gecko shape and also has the overhang that they show on one of the neck pages. The basic neck page, not a Gecko neck page.

I was definitely NOT claiming that they are Gecko necks, just that the headstock is the same. So, what I was getting is that they we're probably using a basic neck, the one with the blank head, and cutting the Gecko headstock shape onto them.

This is obviously not the case anymore. The headstock shape doesn't match anymore. I'm tempted to unbolt my own just to see. My Brice is about 2 years old and at the time when I looked into it it looked VERY likely that is was a Warmoth neck.

I'll take a pic of mine to show you that I'm not crazy :)

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1

11. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Sorry 'bout being out of the loop - I've been out on a nice christmas vacation!

No disrespect to Brice, but I can say authoritatively that we don't make anything for them. If there's a similarity in the headstock and neck design, it may well be inspired by our stuff, as it's been around much longer.

We do make a few OEM parts, but not very many, and mostly high-end stuff. American labor and engineering is not cheap, so inexpensive import stuff would hardly ever use US parts.