Brice ASB-1 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xsogol, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Has anyone seen this bass on Rondo Music's site or played one?! I've always wanted a Gibson EB-style bass and I'm wondering how these rate for the money? This bass looks so sweet!!!!
  2. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Dang, those look sweet! Knowing Rondo Music and seeing that their EB-X knockoff comes with a bridge pickup, those might actually sound decent, unlike many of the Gibby originals.
  3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    did anyone here get one of these?! i've been looking at it a lot lately. any reviews on it from some owners?
  4. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    I'm interested in this model as well, but there seems to be a dearth of first-hand information about it. I'd love to hear from someone who has actually played one.

5. If Rondo ever releases that model in Black or Faded Brown, I'll be the first to buy one and tell you guys how it is. :D
  6. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been trying to find out info on this Brice for about 2 mo. when I first saw them on the web site. They were listed at 299, at first, they have since dropped 50 bucks.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez, how does Brice (and SX) do it?? That looks like a decently made instrument!! I'm more a jazz body style man but that's a good looking bass.
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Clarification: Absolutely not my cup-o-tea .... this is a body style that I personally dislike (I had a '68 EB-something about 200 years ago :( ) and that I find to be one of the most uncomfortable shapes I have ever played ..............

That said, this is a typical example of excellent Brice construction. The body is nicely sculpted, the neck seemed pretty well in tune and the frets were well dressed. I thought the bass was a bit on the heavy side, especially for a short scale.

Tone-wise, it seemed to be limited to two specific sounds .... a kind of thumpy-thuddy deadness when soloed on the neck pup, and very bright at the bridge pup. I couldn't get the tones to blend very well and couldn't get a good warm tone out of it, but in fairness, I didn't spend much time fooling around with it.

Additionally, I've only played this at the Rondo shop pushed though a Hartke Kickback 10, so I have zero real-world experience.

Again, be cautious with this sub-mini review ..... I really don't care for these basses (& never did) and I only picked it up and played it a little because a friend is considering it and wanted my opinion. But I'll say it again, very typical of the Brice basses .... when you pick it up it feels and looks like a much more expensive bass. I have the feeling that if you like the original EB's, you'll probably love this one ..... :cool:
  9. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Thanks for the mini review, Ed. I'm looking around for a short scale bass to string as a piccolo (I know, the Landings and Cortos are supposed to be great, but those are waaay more than I want on a such an esoteric thing as a piccolo). I figure the dull, thuddy sound might actually benefit a piccolo, as one would want to avoid a shrill or trebly tone.

10. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist:,Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, DTAR
    I've been thinking the same..although their 30" basses with the P pickup sound like a better don't want a "dull thuddy" thang for a piccolo..

A long time ago i had a musicmaster strung like that and it was real nice..dropped in a g!@#$%r blade stylee pickup, and it worked well, though I think a 28" scale works better than a 30"..

I have been thinking of getting one of those little sx Pbasses to try again as an experiment..maybe split the difference, and tune it a/d/g/c

eiether that or a kids bass that's a ridiculously short scale for the pic..
  11. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I am curious if anyone has anymore info on these this bass.