Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Panda Licker, Jan 22, 2006.

1. I know everyone here talks about SX, but my dream Rondo bass is a Brice. This one to be exact :

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/bass/harmbass1a.jpg

My first question is, how are Brice basses? I've heard a lot about their 6 string versions, but nothing about the rest.

Secondly, what upgrades would I be able to do to a hollowbody bass? Obviously I could change the tuners and electronics, but is there anything else?

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the 5-string Douglas jazz fretless and the only mods I did to it involved putting Bart pickups in and shielding the cavaties. It's a nice sounding/playing bass. Well-constructed.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have an HBX-406 and an FB-1 (Thunderbird copy). Both are nice basses for the price.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Brice and it's a good bass for the money. Quite playable and giggable.

5. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    That model caught my eye also,plus its a solid body I believe.:cool: :cool:

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I just played that bass this weekend at Rondo .... messed around with it for about 15 minutes or so, plugged into the small Douglas ABA100 amp they have (15" speaker, 100w). Couple of quick comments .....

The body style was kind of awkward for me while sitting down. The bass didn't really feel like it balanced too well, but once strapped up and standing it felt pretty good. Even though it's a 30" scale, somehow it seems to feel a bit longer than that. The neck on the demo was pretty nice and the frets were well dressed. Intonation was pretty good, but it could have used a little more adjustment.

The neck pup placement wasn't the greatest for me, I would have preferred it to be set off the neck just a bit more. But that is just a personal preference, others may like it a lot. The tone was just okay, nothing outstanding, but very clean sounding. I'd bet you can get a good low end with a higher grade amp EQ'd properly. The high end tones seemed thin, to me, but again, it's a floor demo through a small amp.

Typical for Brice, the bass was sturdy and well built. Every Brice I've played/owned was well constructed, and this one is no exception. The bridge was different looking, not a standard brice thing at all. Cool feature was the graphite nut, although it needed to be rounded off just a bit at the edges.

Overall, a nice bass, but priced a little high, IMO. However, if you're looking for a short scale you probably don't have a lot of options .....

BTW, it's a sharp looking beauty in person ....... :cool: