Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice Douglass 5 jazz basses, differences

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassikLee, Jul 21, 2005.

1. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I have both the ash/maple, and the alder/rosewood. I have to say I am shocked at the differences between the two. I am not even talking tonal differences. For example, the tuners are different. Very similar, but different. The bridges are different. The ash/maple's neck is finished in a clear, while the alder/rosewood has a tinted finish, "yellowed". It might be my imagination, but the "bump" in the treble cuttout is more pronounced on the adler one. The neck contour feels about the same on both, being a wide, somewhat flat D shape. I can't compare the amplified tone, as my ash one has barts and the alder is stock. These are VERY nice basses. They EASILY hang with my other basses, which incluce Spector 5s, a US Millenium 5, a Warmoth 5, and an '92 Fender Jazz Plus 5, with the Lace pickups, oh yeah, and a Tribby L2500! I forget about her, she's SO heavy.

Also, the alder bass does(did, it does now) not have the trussrod access route, where the ash one does. The LPB finish and mother of toilet seat pickguard and matching block inlays give this thing a very nice look. I bought this latest one to use the body with my Moses neck, but it looks so nice as is....

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Maybe you could explain a little bit more for me .....

Brice basses are made in Korea, Douglas basses are made in China, to the best of my knowledge they are two separate companies that both happen to be distributed by Rondo. I didn't think that Rondo carried the Brice 5's anymore, although I did just see (what I assumed to be NOS) a fretless Brice 5 that was pretty cool this past weekend.

If one of the basses is a Brice and the other a Douglas, that would explain the difference :cool: Brice is Rondo's high end, the Douglas line is the middle, and SX is the low end ..... three different companies.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I thought the Douglas basses were Korean, just like Brice.

4. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, so did I until I went to Rondo last week and checked out the Douglas 6 again ..... definitely China. BUT, the bass was extremely nice, even more impressed with it for under $200 than I was the first time I saw it. And this time I was able to play it through a decent amp, the thing had some pretty deep b*lls to it ;)

5. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    The douglass 5 was a short lived BRICE bass. It is/was the jazz 5, 21 frets, very "fender" looking. Some would say these basses look more "fender" than most of the Fender 5s do. I'll post some pics this evening. I know these basses don't actually exist until I do so.

Lee

6. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Great, I'd like to see what they look like :cool:

Just went directly to the source and called Rondo. Brice and Agile (Agile is the guitar line) are Korean, SX and Douglas are Chinese. You're right, Lee, apparently there was some cross-matching in the beginning stages between these brands (seems to have been based on manufacturing capability) so some of the older stuff is kind of hard to figure out ......

7. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    There is one of these on ebay right now. Also, if you do an advanced search, you'll find the LPB one I have. Just got it a few days ago. I'll have pics up in a little while.

Lee

8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    This is the 'bay bass

[​IMG]

I don't quite get the Douglas reference, however, the only thing my tired old eyes see is Brice on the 'stock

Cool lookin', that's for sure .......

9. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Ed,

I didn't name them! :) They were called the douglas 5. There are reviews listed of them at harmony central. Again, very nice basses. Rondo sold them for $299, and then when they blew them out, for $199. I got my ash one new for that, and dropped a set of barts in it. I am into that bass for less than $350, and the blue one for less than $200. I play these two more than any of the other ones, at least today.

Lee

10. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    That NOS (I'm assuming, at any rate) fretless Brice 5 I saw there last week was a really nice bass. They were blowing that one out at $150 +/- .... what an idiot, I should have bought that thing :scowl: I just really don't need a fretless 5, and I've been trying to get rid of some basses, not add on to the pile :eek: If you basses are built anything like that one, good grab!

11. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Ed,

If it was a J5, ash, maple board, black binding, then it was the one. Mine is the fretted version of that, kind of a big ol' Geddy neck, in a 5. I am noticing even more differences. Pickup spacing.... I don't have a graduated measuing device handy, but I will get all these ducks in a row before I post the picks. I wonder if they did the alder ones is more of a "60's" spacing, and the ash ones more "70's", or what. I'd think these were CNC cut, so it wasn't a mistake.

Lee

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Exactly. I have a Brice Douglass Fretless J5 that I threw Barts in (that I bought used here)...I have $250 in it, and it's a pretty dang nice bass. Metallic Blue, Ebony board, nice fat growl. A little heavy, but nice bass once you put new strings and a setup on it. The pickups are optional, the stock stuff is actully ok.

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the Brice fretless jazz version and it's a nice bass. I bought from a TBer who had had all of the cavities shielded, so it sounds great. I'm actually probably going to sell it here for cheap, though, as it just doesn;t get much playing time. My fretless 44-02 tends to get all of my fretless attention anyway.

Here's a pic...

14. tbader

tbader

Jun 29, 2005
    Wow, that looks good. You don't really see too many cheapy fretlesses with a maple board. Cool bass!

Edit: Actually, I'm curious now...how much would you be willing to let her go for? :D

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own a Brice Douglas 5 (I call it my Marcus Miller Bass). They are very nice solidly built basses. Very hot output as well. Here's a pic of me with the bass. :cool:

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's pretty nice, man!