Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice Douglass Jazz 5 Fretless with barts, $175

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Chef, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Brice Douglass Jazz 5 Fretless. For those not in the know, Brice is Korean made by the same folks as the Essex (SX) line, but to a higher level of quality.
    Beautiful metalflake blue finish, white pickguard, ebony fingerboard. It's absolutely unbelievable how well this bass plays and sounds. I spent some time giving it a thorough setup including setting nut slot height, intonation, trussrod adjust, and saddle height. I also removed the dots on the side of the neck that were in the wrong place, and put new white dots in the correct places. Then I added a set of bartolini J5 pickups that I scored here for $85...these really warmed and fattened up the bass's tone nicely. Currently strung with new D'Addario nickelrounds, this thing plays, sounds and growls wonderfully. List price of $189+$85 in the pups has me at about $275...
    She's all yours for $175, complete with the new strings!

2. I'm not really in the market for this bass, but it's a good deal, so I'm interested. How much might shipping cost on this baby? (to MD)

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Gimme a zipcode and I'll get you an estimate...the bass weighs 9.3 lbs, and I'm in 65203, so you could also go to ups or fedex or dhl and get one feryerself;)
    The bass has no case (I've been using one of my gigbags for transport, but I'm keeping it) so be sure and add whatever you think is appropriate for a lot of bubblewrap and boxing-I'd be guessing in this regard, but close is good enough for hockey and hand grenades

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    How's the B string, and what is the string spacing at the bridge? Can you post a picture of your dot fix? Are the side dots where the frets would be or at the usual intervals (3,5,7,etc).

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The B's good. Sounds solid and tight, but feels maybe a little looser then my Reverend. String choice has lots to do with that. The dots are where frets would be at the typical 3-5-7 etc intervals. I can put pics up tonight.

thx-chef

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You have PM. :)

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    backatcha, thanks-chef

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    pics of dot relocation...I'm no luthier, so it's not a $500 job, it's me, a drill and some plastic rod. I think it came out nice for what it is...now the dots are where frets would be, and where your "fretting finger" should land...not inbetween the frets as is Brice standard issue. They made fretless necks by simply not installing frets, and did not bother putting markers where they belong...

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    SOLD, thanks y'all.