1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brice Headless Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RolandMHall, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RolandMHall

RolandMHall Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
  2. Lespinoza1545

Lespinoza1545

Nov 6, 2016
    This is an evaluation sample they just want people to send them comments on it, you can't actually buy them. I wish i could though.

3. Interesting. My concern would be the exposed tuners. So many headless basses have those more protected in a 'cut out' type thing.

Bassdirty and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  4. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    First thing I thought as well.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Every bass with a head on it has much more exposed tuners. Big cloverleaf things sticking out in the open. Why would that be an issue here?

gebass6 likes this.
  6. Because when you can't 'hang' it so it has to go on a stand, which is fine if you have a stand. For those who don't/won't use one, it'll have to rest on the tuners.

7. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    That, and I am used to watching the headstock for bumping, not the tail end.

8. RolandMHall

RolandMHall Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    The tuners hanging off the end was the first thing I noticed also.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    They should make a 5/6 string version of that bass! Very nice bass and I don't care for the exposed tuners at all.

gebass6 likes this.
  10. Yep. A usability bummer.

11. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Because they're sticking out of the bottom here.

12. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I see they now have a 30" headless. Intriguing! Good way to try out the setup before buying high-end.

Any comments on these Brices? Are they ok?

13. The tuners sticking out from the bottom are not OK. I wouldn't even consider a headless designed like that.

14. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    You should give them that feedback.

15. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Looks like they've got a whole range of headless instruments now including 4 and 5 strings, fanned fret and guitar versions:
    Rondo Music Home Page

I agree that the protruding tuners on the bass (they are recessed on the guitar) aren't ideal, and they should reshape the body but it's not a huge deal. Not surprising that they didn't though. You're looking at a company trying to incorporate new features onto existing models with as little modification as possible and as cheaply as possible.

I do wonder if they've missed the boat just a bit though, as it appears that new Steinberger Spirit basses can be had for the exact same price and they have the recessed tuners and the Stienberger name.

Steinberger - Woodwind & Brasswind

If I were going for a cheap headless, I'd go with the Spirit.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  16. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    I suppose if price is the #1 priority, we could offer lower end features like are on the steinberger such as passive pickups and a basswood body? We could probably get the price down to $349 something like that for a fan fret and if it was just in a simple 34" scale $299 should be do-able. Comments ?

Kurt

moonshinegtrs and twocargar like this.
  17. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    My $.02...

I like the look, though agree with the other posts that the tuners being unprotected would make me nervous. The Steinbergers probably have a better product, but I don't like that aesthetic - I'd want a headless with a normal body, like the Bryce proto. Would love to see a 6 in transparent red with 18mm+ spacing at the bridge, but maybe that's just dreaming too much. :D

18. I would imagine that fanned frets are an acquired taste and I've never seen a fanned fret bass in the wild in person. For me, a 5 string PJ with at least 18mm spacing and with tuners that don't protrude would be of interest as a travel bass. Passive would be fine. But a real bonus would be one that takes regular strings, as the selection of double ball strings is soooo limited.

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    @kurtzentmaier

Honestly, the main thing that's kept me from trying one of your fanned fret 5s is the string spacing . I prefer the 19mm of the Lakland 55-01 and 55-02 basses... though I could make an 18 work ...16mm is just too tight for me . That said, I appreciate you offering up some truly cool and interesting alternatives to high end basses for people on a budget.

20. Hi Kurt, I've bought 3 SX's so far.

I love the new headless stuff, I've always been a fan and it's nice to see headless attempting to make a comeback in the market.

The tuners sticking out past the body however is a drag. It looks like if you based the headless on the short scale the bridge placement would move to a place further in the body allowing a more protective cutout, solving that problem. A 30" headless 5 based on this model would be awesome for me. Brice HXB2-405 3/4 Nat Quilt Short Scale - RondoMusic.com

I couldn't tell you if there would be a second customer though :)