1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brice headless multi-scaled 5 string - I had to order it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Todd GT5, Oct 28, 2017.

1. I saw this mentioned in another thread and had to pull the trigger! I have the Brice Defiant 6 string multi-scale and love it. I'm hoping this will make a nice addition. I've always been intrigued with headless basses and obviously now with multi-scale. Also I'm thinking that this will take most of the common string brands so playing around with different string options will be easier than with the Defiant. It should be quite a bit lighter than the Defiant, for those days when I'm not up to lugging the 11 pounder!

I'll report back once I get it!

Todd

Brice HXB2-405 3235 RN Headless Nat Burl - RondoMusic.com

shupe13, Temcat and bholder like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I was wondering when someone would jump on that! :)

Todd GT5 likes this.
  3. Can't wait to hear about your experiences with that instrument. Especially observations on how comfortable the neck is.

Todd GT5 likes this.
  4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yeah, I look really, really hard at it, but what I really want is the Brice 6 string with the 34/37" scales which they don't have in stock right now. To me it was sort of a trade-off where the longer bass side gives you the killer fanned fret tone, but the 35" bass side lets you use standard string sets (I presume).

Todd GT5 and gebass6 like this.
  5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Same here.
    I recently had to sell my seven string and I am scouting out six string candidates for tax time.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Todd GT5 likes this.
  6. I hear you bassbenj! I almost went with the 34/37 5 string Defiant as a second bass to my 34/37 6 string. I really love that 37" B string. Hopefully I'll get along with the 35" B string on this.

Todd

7. NickCormier

NickCormier

Dec 3, 2006
    I wanna find a used short scale Brice, they dont pop up often apparently and the last one sold fast in Sept =[ The headless is cool though.

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Subbed, as I started that other thread.

Todd GT5 likes this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I'm currently scoping out the Defiant 63437 as a candidate.

HOWEVER.

If they suddenly decide to release a six string headless multi-scale version in the near future....................

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Todd GT5 likes this.
  10. I just got the "delivered" message! I can't wait to get home and check it out!
    Todd

11. 20171103_181736_zpsv71uezym.
    I got to unpack it, change the strings and did a bit of set-up. I'm really liking how it plays. I'm not sure that I won't be upgrading the electronics. I'll have to spend a little time with it.

Todd

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  12. Wow! Waiting for a more detailed review. Weight, fretwork quality, neck levelness, neck girth, tuner quality, and balance is what I'm most interested in. Electronics can be changed relatively easy.

13. The finish is a bit strange. There are dark spots in it that look like they don't really belong there.

14. Temcat,
    Weight is 9.3LBS per bathroom scale. Fretwork is excellent, no sharp edges or sprout and I was able to lower the action right where I like it. Neck is pretty level came with a little relief(OK for me). It seems that the neck would need to be removed to tweek the truss rod. As far as neck girth, I would say it's nice and moderate. Keep in mind I like thicker rather than thin necks and I also prefer wider fret boards to narrow. Tuners work great! it was really easy to change the strings also. I did need to pull the little saddle plates out and grind them down to allow setting the action as low as I like. I also did that on my Defiant 63734. Balance and comfort are the best part of this bass, it sits effortlessly where I want it. One other comment, the B string to G string measurement is 3 1/16" do the outsides of the strings(Rondo sight said 2 5/8"). The spacing at the bridge is clearly wider than my 63734.

The finish looks better in person, the spots are probably an attempt to look natural. I'm thinking it's a photo finish top, not a real veneer.
    Todd

I'll add more information as I spend more time with it.

Temcat likes this.
  15. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    that is more reasonably priced than I would expect!

16. Thank you so much, Todd! Very informative, and a great help to the interested folks.

17. Other points of interest for me are possible dead spots and tone & volume balance between strings. I know the former shouldn't exist on a headless, but who knows. The latter is one of the reasons to have a multiscale, now it's time to see how the bass scores in that respect.

18. I haven't noticed any dead spots and the volume between strings is good after I fine tuned the pick-up height. I do feel a difference from the 37" B string however the 35" B string is excellent on this and with the shorter scale I'm feeling fast and creative!

Todd

Temcat likes this.
  19. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    What is your opinion about the individual bridge/tuner assemblies? I've been looking for affordable versions of those for a while now.

20. I have found that the individual bridge/tuner assemblies are working very well! I was able to fine tune the action easily and replacing the strings was a breeze.

Todd

Temcat and BassikLee like this.