1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brice HXB-405 project - String advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sparks55, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Sparks55

Sparks55

Feb 22, 2009
    B'more North, MD
    Hi all. I posted in the strings forum too, but I think I wiill better reach those with advice on this bass here, in the basses forum. This is my first fiver and my first fretless. I don't have it in front of me, but it's also a "project." Rondo says it is 35" scale. It has string-thru-bridge setup and a rosewood fretboard. Pups are stock and appear to be imitation Barts or EMG "J" style although I haven't heard them. The preamp is shot (dead) and I will be replacing the preamp/electronics to make it all work, active/passive.

Anyone familiar with this bass and have string suggestions for me?

I love the sound and feel of Sadowsky Black Label Flats on my 4's. This fretless will be used for jazz and light rock. All finger style and I have only been playing for a year. Amp is a TC Electronic RH450 and cab will likely be the RS210.

I'd like to try GHS Pressurewounds which are wound to 38" (according to GHS) but I haven't measured the bass yet to see if it really needs extra-longs or if the GHS will fit. Starting on it this weekend. (Pics to follow if I make any visible changes).

Thanks for any input.

Mark