Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice HXB-405?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by travatron4000, Mar 12, 2005.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    After spending hours searching TB and the massive Essex Megathread I've decided to post a new thread because I havn't found satisfactory info on this bass, Brice HXB-405 I would like a response from an owner with an indepth review if possible. In brief: Who has one and what do you think?

Thanks,
    Travis

2. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    bump

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I hear you. I'm looking at the exact same bass, myself.

Can anyone help us out? :D

I'm trying to figure out how much difference there is between the Brice and the SX basses. I can blow $130 on a crappy bass to give fretless a try, but if I spend $270, I'll be expecting a little more.

After all, if I bought the Brice, and felt I had to add Bartolini pickups ($200) and an Aguilar preamp ($100), then I'm up to $570. A Lakland Skyline 55-01 with Bartolini pickups sells for around $650 street, so the upgraded Brice wouldn't make much sense, then. :rollno:

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    How about you buy the bass then review it, so I know if I want to get it at some point. :p

5. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Another person interested. If anyone wants to make donations, I'd be glad to test it out ;)

Although if it helps any, my friend has the fretted six string from this series and loves it, the only problem he has with it is the tone. Sounds like adding some new pickups would make this a great bass.

6. I know there are a few threads about the 6 string brices. Things like build quality and QC would probably be addressed there. Do a search. :)

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    What specific problems does he have with the tone? I'm going to be getting a Z6 with the alder body.

8. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    He just doesn't especially care for it. He says its ok, just not as good as his Highway 1 Fender that costs at least twice as much. I don't think it bugs him really, I know he uses it for gigs if that gives you any idea.

9. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I wish that figured buginga weren't so ugly.

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I like the look of the bass. Really good price. Not much to loose. $260 for a decent looking 5'er, what is stopping you? :eyebrow: With all of the movement of basses here and on sleeze bay, if you really hate it, get rid of it. Hassle, yes, but if you like it, your good to go. I can tell you from my expreience, I have paid more for less. :meh:

11. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I'm really pretty familiar with the Rondo basses, and as stated many times in the massive Essex thread, there is a fairly significant difference between SX and Brice in terms of quality and construction, and the two are regularly discussed in the same breath (but shouldn't be). Two separate bass lines built by two separate companies.

Brice basses are easily several steps up from SX, as just a cursory examination of the two side by side will reflect. However, while we're not talking about mega bucks here, there is also a relatively sizable difference in cost between the two (almost a 60% cost increase).

In that same light, there is a sizable different between the Brice HBX-6 series and the Brice Z Prestige-6 series, but again with a relatively sizeable increase in cost.

Common to all of the Rondo import basses, whether it be SX or Brice, is the need to change strings immediately and the absolute need to properly set up the basses. Brice basses seem to have better electronics than the SX, but the SX basses are easier to mod, if desired.

Don't confuse the two lines, they are indeed different. Either way, you get very good value for your money.

12. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I hear that the brices aren't made in china(questioneable business ethics). They are made in Korea. In my experience the quality difference between these two countries is hugely in favor of korea.

danman

13. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Correct .... Brice is Korean

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I don't suppose anyone with a Brice could do a quick recording with it? I'd love to hear what they actually sound like with stock pickups and preamp.

15. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    The only recordings I have with the Z6NT are in a group setting, not stand-alone. And I still haven't figured out how to insert an mp3 into this forum :scowl:

16. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    how is the B string on the HBX405?

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I recently saw a local metal band (called Ripped ImPrints; rippedimprints.com) perform and the bassist had one of those 35" scale Brice 5-strings with the quilt top and active electronics. (FWIW, he was playing through an SWR Workingman's 15 combo.) From what I understand, he tunes it in drop A (since the guitarist plays a 7-string in A) and he uses the low string quite a bit. And his tone is really tight.

Granted, part of his tone is probably in his technique as well. So from my experience of having heard the bass in question in a live performance (and all the electronics and everything were stock on this cat's bass) the low string sounded tight and focused to me.

As with just about any new bass you get, you'll need a good professional setup done and a great setup can make even a cheapie bass play like a boutique. So I don't see why the Brice HXB405 won't sound and play well, especially with the low B (or low A in the case I heard), once it's had an awesome setup.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    FWIW My V2 Brice sounds and plays quite well. The old V2 has totally different electronics than all the newer Brice basses, though. Active pickups and a bizarre passive EQ arrangement (Vol/Vol/Tone/Blend). The B string is tight and defined, and the tone is actually very nice to my ears.

Absolutely killer dead spot on the "F" at position 6 on the "B" string though. Worst dead spot I've ever experienced.

19. jamiefoxer

jamiefoxer

Dec 2, 2005
    I have two Brice HXB-406s, one fretted (sunburst finish), one bubinga color, fretless. The fretless I put in Bartolinis, so I can't speak about that one.

The fretted has stock pickups. They tend to sound on the treble side, but that can be rectified through cutting off treble, and equalizing more bass on the bass itself and on the amplifier. I've played gigs with it and it works just fine. I did have to have it set up...but it's still a deal.

Honestly, Brice HXB and Z basses are one of unspoken gems of the internet. If you're looking for a specialty, multi thousand dollar bass to show off, go somewhere else. But, if you want a solid, quality sounding, giggable bass that won't break the wallet, the Brice's are great...and you can later change pickups and preamp and have a killer bass. Frankly...I don't understand why people, unless they're receiving free equipment as endorsees, pay for extremely expensive instruments.