Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice HXB 406 Opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_player16, May 19, 2005.

1. Hey everyone,
    I have posted numerous threads regarding my recent intrest in 6 strings and I've been doing alot of research on different ones, Although the Ibanez is probably my favourite, I have run across the Brice HXB 406. I'm wondering what people think of it, and if it would be a worth while investment for me.
    Thanks for your help

Jared

2. I love mine. It's pretty much my main bass now, but I do have the fretless version. It's the only sixer that I've really tried out that I liked. The neck has a satin finish on it that is a first for me, and I tell you man I can just fly all day on that neck. It feels so smooth.......Other construction isn't bad either, not as nice as my carvin, but around the same quality as a fender MIM j/p. The only probs I have with mine is the battery box is low-quality and the pups & pre aren't the greatest. Both of those can be replaced, so no biggy.

Some folks will disagree about spending $300 on a bass and then putting another $300 in electronics in it later, but I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to try a sixer, but wasn't sure if I would like it. And I figure $600 for a sixer with the pups and pre that I want in it isn't really a bad deal at all.

YMMV, but I love my HXB-406

3. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I dunno much about the HXB 406, but I can tell you I love my z-bass neckthru 6. It's a big mofracka but I can coax some nice tone out of it. Mah bass teacher said so! It goes for 399 on Kurt's site.

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have one and really like it, but I didn't like the preamp. I replaced it with a Bartolini and now the bass sounds great. The pickups really aren't bad at all. If you are going to change yours try just changing the preamp first and see if you like the pickups better with a good preamp. It might save you some money.

5. yes i play a brice 6 of the same model, and i am impressed. i like it.

6. FretlessVoice

FretlessVoice

May 25, 2005
    How does the passive sound of the HXB-406 sound? Everyone seems to feel the need to upgrade the preamps in these basses but I prefer passive. How does this bass sound in passive mode?

7. I'm considering one of those, too. Has anyone tried one of the 35" scale models with the quilted maple top? How are the B strings on those? I've heard that they're not too great with the stock strings, but if you put a new set on it helps a lot.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The passive mode sounds good. They are pretty decent pickups.

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I don't know about that model, but the Brice 6 fretless that I played was wonderfully put together, and I couldn't think of a single thing wrong with it. For the money, I'd say they're a bargain.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hey was that my Brice V2 you're talking about? :)

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You are correct sir! I couldn't believe how nice it sounded, particularly for costing 45 cents, or however much it was you paid for it. Unbelievably inexpensive for the level of quality. If you ever decide to sell that thing, call me first!

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I never will. :) Looks nice, too. It's a shame they don't put that thin quilt over the "Z"s. Far from perfect though, I'll show you the lumps next meet.

13. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I am a recent new owner of a lefty ZNT 6. It's got such a deep warm tone, it's beautiful. It was $495 since it was lefty....

14. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Mariner, glad to hear that the Z6NT is working out for you ... I'm really into that blue, it's a beautiful color :D

BTW, how were the strings on that when you got it? I heard that they finally switched to some decent stock strings :cool:

15. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    They're probably better than they used to be. I didn't give them a chance. I had a new set before the bass was delivered.

It certainly is blue....