1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale/Trade Brice HXB-406 (Project)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Steve-Mo, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Steve-Mo

Steve-Mo Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Western NY
    Price:
    Strings:
    This isn't going to read quite like most ads you'll see online.

Several years back, I received this bass as a gift. I do not mind fiddling with instruments and frankly, did not want to make a fuss or else this would have been sent right back to Rondo Music.

- The nut is not slotted correctly, with a curious distance between the 'B' and the end of the fretboard. (Edit: Seems the but is just slotted slightly more narrow than the thickness of the fretboard implies.)
    - It seems that when the neck was installed a sliver of the bubinga top 'lifted' and QC's solution was to give that spot a rough sanding. This is visible under light.
    - The preamp was a disaster and was tossed with the intent of throwing a 3-band in. There is no preamp, nor passive setup.
    - An additional control hole was drilled to accommodate the theorized 3-band preamp
    - The 'B' string rings particularly weak, though I did not experiment with different strings. I believe it has D'addario Rounds.
    - Needs a setup otherwise, neck relief, intonation, ect.
    - In good, unplayed condition otherwise with a very small ding by one of the horns the only thing of note.
    - EDIT: Further review found the small ding on the headstock and a hard piece of junk on the rear of the body. I will leave removal to the buyer as I'm afraid of lifting the finish with my lack of finese. The strap pins and truss cover were also robbed for other project.

I had some issues getting my phone to focus on the minor details so don't hesitate to request I give it another whirl if there is anything you'd like to see.

With my two other 6ers in prime shape, I just don't have the inclination/time to invest into this.

Trades: Midi keyboard, bass effects (stereo reverb, preamps), books, monitors, Valve JR head.. don't be afraid to make offers, I have many interests.

Price does NOT include shipping.

20180113_223843.
    20180113_223915. 20180113_224000. 20180113_224136. 20180113_224216. 20180113_224400. 20180113_224520. 20180113_224623. 20180113_224721.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 10:15 PM
    SteveBass5 likes this.
  2. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    String spacing

3. Steve-Mo

Oct 25, 2010
    Western NY
    16mm at the bridge. 35 inch scale. Don't have the means to weight, but lighter than my MTD Z6 and MUCH lighter than my old SR506.

4. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    A little too tight. Thank you

mustBmtd and Steve-Mo like this.
  5. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    IS the neck actually narrower at the base of the body or is it just a bad nut?

6. Steve-Mo

Oct 25, 2010
    Western NY
    The neck is fine, I just think the nut is spaced slightly too narrow. This is just based off of my other 6ers and my "feel" when fingering close to the nut.

I imagine this similar to having a jazz nut on a p neck, if that makes sense?