1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brice hxb-406 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Infamous_MB, May 1, 2006.

1. Infamous_MB

Infamous_MB

Dec 11, 2002
    Indy
    my electronics on my hxb-406 crapped out, does anyone know what kind of pickups i can drop in it that i wont need to do any routing for?

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Why not try to contact the place you bought it from for assistance?

3. i believe a lot of people put in bartolini...

4. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You can put Bartolini's in there, I believe the M56 series pups are a drop in for the HXB rout. But there are lots of guys here who would know better than me. Plus, the Barts are pretty expensive ....... :meh:

When you say the electronics crapped out, what do you mean by that? Do they not work at all, or are they crackling or cutting out? Is it just the pots (a really common problem with the HXB's)? A little bit more info will probably help to get you some more/better answers ....... :cool:

5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
  6. Yes -

The electronics (pots, wiring, pre-amp, etc.) do indeed suck (or blow, depending upon your direction). But the pickups aren't bad as pickups go

Before taking soldering iron to them, though, make sure you have a fresh battery. When they start to get old and drop just a little below the required voltage, all hell breaks loose.

Rather than buying Bartolini pickups, try a Bartolini 2 band EQ - you'll lose your active/passive capabilities, but it's worth it (IMO) to get rid of the noisy pots. Just did this with my Brice, and I LOVE the sound I'm getting from this thing!!

If that doesn't work, then swap the pickups. If you do the pickups first, your electronics might still (and probably will) suck, and you might blame the pickups again (although it won't be their fault).

7. Just checked this site - new Bart pre-amp with active/passive - vol/vol/treble/bass arrangement for $105 retail - not too shabby!