1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brice HXB-406 Setup question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stubbs, Nov 10, 2005.

1. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    Hey all, I've been having some problems with my 6 string brice HXB406 recently and thought maybe I'd get some help here :help:

So I bought the bass brand new, my first 6 string, several weeks ago. I played it with the original strings for a while even though they weren't the greatest. I finally got around to changing the strings a few weeks back.

I bought a set of D'addario XL170's, long scale 6 string set. Unfortunately, I forgot this is a extra long 35" scale bass (used to my 4 string 34"), so those strings did not work. I put them on and they were completely dead on the fretboard (each string rested on all the frets) no matter how much I messed with the bridge, etc.

Today I recieved my La Bella Extra Long Scale 6 string set, and guess what, the same problem. I was told it was the strings, so I bought these thinking it would remedy the situation. Nope....the strings are still "dead" laying flat on the fretboard no matter how much they are tightened or the bridge saddles raised/lowered/moved etc. This is a string through bass.

I know the Rondo basses need lots of setup work before they play right, but theres no truss rod on this bass, and I simply don't know what to do. The strings actually are at a perfect height towards the base of the neck...towards the bridge they are on the frets.

Any suggestions? I've spent a lot of money so far on a bass that refuses to play, and it's getting very frustrating :mad:. Thanks for your help

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Assuming the bass is indeed tuned to pitch, I'd bet the house it's a relief issue, which means you need to loosen the trussrod.

I know you say it doesn't have one, but this site says it does:

http://www.rondomusic.net/hxb406bub.html

3. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
  4. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    Cool, thanks for the help. I can't wait to get this bass ready.........