Brice HXB-406 Setup question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stubbs, Nov 10, 2005.

1. stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    Hey all, I've been having some problems with my 6 string brice HXB406 recently and thought maybe I'd get some help here :help:

So I bought the bass brand new, my first 6 string, several weeks ago. I played it with the original strings for a while even though they weren't the greatest. I finally got around to changing the strings a few weeks back.

I bought a set of D'addario XL170's, long scale 6 string set. Unfortunately, I forgot this is a extra long 35" scale bass (used to my 4 string 34"), so those strings did not work. I put them on and they were completely dead on the fretboard (each string rested on all the frets) no matter how much I messed with the bridge, etc.

Today I recieved my La Bella Extra Long Scale 6 string set, and guess what, the same problem. I was told it was the strings, so I bought these thinking it would remedy the situation. Nope....the strings are still "dead" laying flat on the fretboard no matter how much they are tightened or the bridge saddles raised/lowered/moved etc. This is a string through bass.

I know the Rondo basses need lots of setup work before they play right, but theres no truss rod on this bass, and I simply don't know what to do. The strings actually are at a perfect height towards the base of the neck...towards the bridge they are on the frets.

Any suggestions? I've spent a lot of money so far on a bass that refuses to play, and it's getting very frustrating :mad:. Thanks for your help
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Assuming the bass is indeed tuned to pitch, I'd bet the house it's a relief issue, which means you need to loosen the trussrod.

I know you say it doesn't have one, but this site says it does:
  3. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
  4. stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    Cool, thanks for the help. I can't wait to get this bass ready.........