1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brice HXB2-405 RN 37 Nat Bubinga Extra Long 37" Scale "EarthQuake" Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PsyDocHill, Nov 22, 2016.

1. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    My double basses have 42" and 43" long scale.

FugaziBomb and PsyDocHill like this.
  3. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    Exactly! I was musing about that. I am a mere tinkerer with the DB, but I own one & don't find the scale to be an issue. I posted this because there's been lots of talk on various threads about BG scales yet I think that the only one with a 37" scale was fanned fret. In short, I'm wondering whether particularly the G string on this Brice fiver would be "too tight," if there is such a thing.

/\/\3phist0 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    When they(Rondo)release a six string multi-scale single cut,and they will,I AM THERE BUDDY!!

PsyDocHill likes this.
  5. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA

It looks like they're heading in such a direction, selling Agile (?) fanned-fret fivers. Just a while ago, the single-cut Freak Bass (granted, a fiver) popped up on Rondo Music. Now this. Maybe your dream will come true soon!

gebass6 likes this.
  6. JCooper

JCooper ...meep.

Oct 21, 2009
    Vermont
    Looks cool, I like the idea.

PsyDocHill likes this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Yep!That's the one I saw!
    I give them a year or so.

PsyDocHill likes this.
  8. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    I see a new playfulness out yonder by Rondo, giving basses fun names--Freak, Earthquake.... I like that, too. The "name brands" often do this; that, we know. Is this a sign of a new spirit of Kurt et al. testing the limits? I'm rooting for that.

gebass6 likes this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have a Brice Defiant 53437, which is a fan fret with scale lengths from 34" to 37". I do appreciate what 37 inches does for the B, but I really don't think I'd want a 37 inch G. However, I've never played a 37 inch G so what do I know.

UNICORN BASS and PsyDocHill like this.
  10. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    You know a lot more than I do; I've never played a bass guitar with any string at 37." Your Brice Defiant, with the incremental scale lengths, does the string-tension seem more or less, oh, right? I own a 35" bass guitar & have a hard time imagining what an additional 2" would do to G- or even D-string tension. I mean, it's nice, but pretty tight on the 35!"

11. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I am very interested...what kind of strings are on this bass already?

String gauges are unique...030, .045, .080, .100, .125

And it's string-through body!! Where are they getting these mile-long strings from?

PsyDocHill likes this.
  12. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    Yes! Oddly, the same string gauges are listed for the other Brice fivers, IIRC. What?! A .030 gauge is usually associated with a high C string o_O.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  13. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    I never took an interest in the HXBs until this beast. Does anyone have Kurt's ear, literally or figuratively? The mystery of the strings, as noted by @el_Bajo_Verde is rather...mysterious :speechless:.

14. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    On the tensions, yes the tensions on the defiant DO feel right! But reading the other posts, I realize that, if you choose the right gauges, you can get equivalent tensions no matter what the scale length.

But the question is, what is the best formula for equal tension AND great tone. I'm used to 34" scale length basses (my main players are Js), so I'm still feeling out my Defiant... but the B is awesome!

Let me also share this, though. One defect with every fan fret bass I've seen I'd that the pups are not angled the same way a fret at that position would be. Why is that a defect, IMO? Because that means that it is positioned at a different node for each string, which I believe affects the overtones, which affects the tone.

What it means to me is, unlike on my single scale length basses, the tone changes in (very small) unpredictable ways as I change the relative pup volumes. In the mix, it probably wouldn't be very audible, but it is wreaking havoc with me trying to compare it to my parallel fret basses.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    PsyDocHill likes this.
  15. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    Thank you. This is helpful information for me, as I've never so much as picked up a fanned fret instrument. The tension business, for me, is usually a non-issue, no deal-breaker. I just position my plucking hand in accordance to the "tension" I want to get from each string. But, here, it's weird. At 1st, I thought maybe the HXBs were strung EADGC, but no! That .125 sure doesn't look like an E string. It's a "regular light" B for sure. Or something.

16. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    No gig bag or case? That's not gonna be easy to find.

PsyDocHill likes this.
  17. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    I'll tell ya, if I decide it's for me, I'll carry it around in the cardboard box for a while, like I used to carry my P-Bass in HS.

comatosedragon likes this.
  18. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    I've heard that this Bass Sleeve™ can hold a 37" scale bass guitar.

19. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    I can confirm that the Mono sleeve and their dual bass case both handle my 37" Dingwalls.

bholder and PsyDocHill like this.
  20. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    Thank you! I came upon the Mono website just today & asked around. Man are they serious about their gear. It's good stuff!

arrowsun and el_Bajo_Verde like this.