Brice is Nice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joeeg33, Sep 4, 2003.

1. OK all,
    I went to Rondo music yesterday and left with a Brice 5 string. Black Jazz bass style with the block inlays. Out the door for $225 including tax.
    A little bit about myself. I have been playing bass for 24 years, 19 of them as a vet on the NJ scene. I have owened every bass under the sun. My favorites have been, Smiths, and Spectors. I also repair instruments, so I am always anal when checking out new basses.
    So here goes. For the price that one could be had, I was baffeled at how they can do it. The maple used for the neck constuction was very nice. Fret work oustanding. All of the frets are seated, leveled, crowned, and polished without flaw. The finish is smooth and very well buffed. The bridge, tuning gears, P/Up's, are cheap, obviously this is where the cost is kept down. But all of the parts are mounted firmly, and seem solid enough to last, only time will tell.
    I did play a bunch of them at the store, there were a few dogs, but over all the consistancy was very good.
    I did play the Natural Ash one, it was a beaut, but damn HEAVEY, which is the reason I went with the Black Alder one.
    So what did I do to it when I got home. First dis assembled the whole thing, to get a real good look at everything. First, I dropped in a set of EMG's, you will need 2 bridge position P/U's, they are a bit longer than the neck position P/U. Standard controls, V,V,T. Cut the nut slots down a bit, they were to high out of the box. New set of D'addario strings, .045-.130. Intonated the bridge, it was way off out of the box, and it was ready. The EMG's made a huge differance. The bass plays and sounds amazing now. I was very impressed with the 'B' string, I think it sounds better than the 'B' on my Stingray 5.
    Conclusion, spend a little time tweaking, and you won't find a instrument at this price new that can compare.

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    you were supposed to say it sucked so i wont want to buy one... geez ;)
  3. Those companies making cheap quality instruments must make The Big Ones want to eat their shorts, and that's a good thing. If the B string is better than on a 'Ray 5, it sure could beat the hell out of the Fender J5, which should retail for at least 4 times the price! We need more affordable quality gear.

Hooray for Brice and Essex!!! :bassist:
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a little Brice Violin bass, and it's a heck of a bass for that price. Cheap basses can be cool too!
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :cool: I'm planning on hittin' this as a backup. I like heavy and ash... but the black and blue ones look great too. Thanks for the review. I'll be making the trek to Rondo when I'm ready (they're about a 1.5 hour drive).

The violin bass looks sharp too... I'm definately trying one of those out too.
  6. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    good to hear, I like alot of Rondo's basses. Anyone try out one of the new fretless 6 strings (bubinga board I think)? I was wondering how those held up.

Nice looking jazz basses, I love the LPB version w/block inlays. Forget expensive basses, I think I would have more fun upgrading basses from Rondo (especially since I can't play that well yet)
  7. I keep eyeballing those things cuz the prices are so budget friendly.... I like that Ash 5 string...looks all vintagey and pretty just haven't gotten to try it....
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! That swamp ash 5 is killer! Does it include the ashtrays? GAS!:D
  9. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Is it true that you have to remove the neck to do truss rod adjustments? Also what is the string spacing at the bridge?
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :cool: yes andkeep your hands off my Mylanta ;)

yup, JUST LIKE a 70's Fender. and like the fenders a notch will make it so you don't have to pull it. The spacing is the same as a Ray 5.
  11. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Thanks speddling.
  12. say... can we go as far as to call this the avatar of guitars/basses? just curious
  13. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I have to know, did you play the bubinga ones at all? that six looks gorgeous, and I am majorly gassing for it!!!
  14. yeah, by all means, check out the pictures they have on the ebay auctions for these ones. They have afew more pictures and it gives you a better idea. More gas inducing as well i must say;)
  15. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Hmm... I'd say that bubinga bass isn't too bad at all!:bassist:

(damn GAS)
  16. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Joeeg33, since you've had yours apart, would you agree with Speddling that a simple route in the body would make truss rod adjustments possible with the neck on?

Can you describe the neck profile(shape, thickness, etc., compares to?)

You must be kidding about that 'B'!
    The SR5 has got a killin' B.

Thanks for that in-depth review. I had yet to see much from anyone that actually owned/played one.

17. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    This is exactly how I'm feeling. Sure expensive basses are nice, but the low SX prices have enabled me to add 3 new types of basses to my arsenal (fretless, 5, and 3/4) for the price of *one* MIM Fender, and the quality is the same. Upgrading and modding is a lot of fun and a good learning experience.

Rondo is my local music store, it's about 10-15 minutes from my house. I try not to go there a lot, because it just makes me want to buy more basses, which I really don't need. Last time I was there I tried the Brice ash Jazz 5, and would have bought it if I needed another 5. The ashtrays got in my way, and it was a tad heavy, but those were my only complaints.
  18. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I can't wait for my Douglas 5 swamp ash bass! Gawd the gas is killing me! :D
  19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It shouldn't be baffling at all. They are made in Korea where labor is much cheaper than here (or even Mexico). That's how they do it. The SX basses are made in China where labor is even cheaper and working conditions are often atrocious.

You personally save some money when you buy instruments like this, but the human price is still very high. That's why most of my guitars and basses are made in USA or Canada. (I try to buy clothes that are made in USA or Canada also)

I do however have a very nice Dean Edge 5 fretless that was made in Korea, possibly in the same factory as the Brices. It is my most played and most satisfying bass. Those Korean craftsman did a wonderful job, I hope they were well paid and not abused.:(