Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice: Overall opinion?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 30, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've been in the market for a cheap 6 that doesn't suck... is this an example?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7326042465&rd=1

Brice has so much on stuff on Ebay (because that's how they deal) and it looks like decent gear (I can't look at something and know if it sounds good though). What is the opinion on this stuff. They describe it as "beginner basses/guitars"... but that's what they say about every instrument under 400 it seems.

I'm not running into cash really quick... but would something like this be a good idea?

2. urobolus

urobolus

May 31, 2005
    They're decent for the price range. I can totally rock out on mine, which I bought for $350 on ebay. A frickin steal--the lowest priced six string in the biggest bass guitar shop in NYC was $700, and it sounded like junk compared to the Brice.

Plus, after awhile, with a little extra $$$, you can trade it in for a decent price and upgrade to whatever your fancy is.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Our own Philbiker's got a beautiful fretless Brice... it's my only experience with them, but it's a great instrument, and probably worth twice what he paid for it.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Brice six string fretless is a servicable instrument, I wouldn't hesistate to use it on my most serious musical gigs (and indeed I have done just that). It looks good, sounds good, and plays good. Don't expect a $1000 instrument for your $350 or so and you won't be dissapointed. I wouldn't hestate to recommend a Brice to someone wanting to get their feet wet with a six string or even to an open minded experienced player.

Beware though, out of the box setup on these things is terrible. Expect to do a complete setup including a string change.

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I absolutely agree with Philbiker, with one exception ... I have a Brice Z6NT that I would definitely put along side just about any $1000 bass, I did a review here: http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=545 I use the bass as a regular gigging and recording instrument, along with a fretless 6, no problems of any sort. It will be my fretted 6 until I can order a new FBB sometime this fall.

The Z6NT is a bit more expensive (currently $449) than the rest of the Brice line, but worth it. But as Phil states, be prepared to do a complete set-up to make it playable ....

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    What's the deal with the individual saddles on the Z6 basses? I have a friction-fit bridge on my crappy Galveston, and the Z6 looks like it has the same deal.

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Snarf, I'm not sure what your question is :confused:

The Brice Z6NT has a typical set-up for individual saddles ......

8. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I love my Z6NT. I've gotten lots of compliments on it, even from experienced bass players. It's a very solid instrument, in my opinion. Sounds fantastic, plays fantastic, and has everything that I hoped a 6 string would. The string spacing is as much as you'd get with a 4 string, it's a neck through, and it's got 35" scale. I should have paid twice what I did for this instrument, as others have said. I wouldn't part with it for anything :D

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well, let me see if I can clarify. The saddles in the bridge of my Galveston fall out when you take off the tension (ie change strings), and the only way to adjust intonation is to loosen the string and FORCE the saddle up or down with pliers.

So basically, can you adjust the Brice saddles with a screwdriver just like any other un-crappified bass?

10. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Ohhhhh...........

Nah, the Brice has a fairly intricate adjustment system, all done with allen keys .... slide back/forth, raise/lower left side of saddle, raise/lower right side of saddle, etc.

And no, the saddles definitely do not fall off :eek: What a drag that has to be :scowl:

.... no wonder they're so cheap ... :bag:

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    That's why I don't change strings on it anymore, or play it. I'm hoping I can con some Dream Theater poser into buying it off me at Berklee.