Brice preferences

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickbass6, Jan 25, 2006.

1. patrickbass6

Jan 25, 2006
    I just got the Brice 6 neckthru for christmas I like the look and feel but I cant seem to get the sound I want .. I like to have a lot of clarity but when I adjust for this i get to much brightness not enough middle. or either i try to compensate for the brightness and get a real muddy sound. Its a good bass when I play it at home but as soon as I take it out I get these set backs. :meh:
    can anyone recommend a good setting or kind of strings I can use to correct this? The controls seem to do very little besides volume.
  2. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    pickup upgrade?

if not, maybe some La Bella deep talkin bass strings. they cure anything, for me.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Or you could try a preamp upgrade. Sometimes the pickups themselves are good but it's the preamp that's holding them back. Kinda like having a high performance engine in a cumbersome RV.

The Brice/SX basses are hot rod upgrade canvases for many TBers.

Perhaps stainless steel strings can give you the clarity attack and bite you need. I'm an SIT man myself (I use PowerSteels on my Soundgear and they sound awesome) but others like Rotosounds.
  4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I installed a Bartolini NTMB preamp in mine, and it sounds great. The pickups were good, but the preamp I didn't like.
  5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

I agree with the preamp upgrade! i had a bart NTMB pre with my Lane Poor HB and i switched to a Aguilar opb3 and it sounds so much better now.. the bart seemed to take the tone away.. not talking bad about bart.. but i dont think it went well with my lane poor at all..
  6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The obvious question is, did you switch out the strings yet? Those stock strings are just horrible, tone sucking pieces of junk. I used Labella's on my Z6NT and they completely changed the sound of the bass.

The stock pre is usable, but a switch out may be needed. The pups were always fine on mine and the stock preamp was fine for my needs, but I never really used that bass for gigging, just rehearsals.

Just as a thought, when I got mine I thought the same thing about the controls, that they just didn't do anything. When I checked into the cavity I found out I had 2 cold solder connections, a quick and easy repair and the bass sounded 10 times better ........... :cool:
  7. Ed (Pointbass) and Showdown are absolute right - String it up with new strings (I've tried DRs on my Brice neck through, but I'm still not happy with them - must go with the Labella Deep Talkers next time)

The pickups are really good - the electronics and pre-amp need to go. I'm considering an Overwater 2 band - the one Overwater I heard last year was just unbelievable. Either that, or a 3 band with the stacked pots like Keith Roscoe puts in his basses.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Definitely start with a string change if you haven't already. I've got black tapewound LaBellas on my V2 six now.

I wonder how the newer active EQ Brice basses sound with passive EQ VOL/VOL/TONE/TONE. Personally being a passive kind of guy, I'd try that before putting another preamp in. Since I can soldier it would just involve buying a kit from Stewart-McDonald or something. If you're not really handy with a soldiering gun, that may not work very well.

The older V2 models came with EMG-like active pickups and passive EQ. This configuration sounds like a million bucks to my ears.
  9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree Phil, that set-up was very cool ... kind of wish they would have left it alone .....
  10. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    +1 on that. DR LO-Riders would help too beings they are mid-range heavy.
    If you don't care for DR's go with Boomers. :bassist: