Brice Prestige Z 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    That Megathread is way too huge to search through for this, so I'll just ask:

Does anyone own the Brice Prestige Z 6 String? I'm thinking about getting one somewhere down the line here. Do you have any better pics than the ones on Rondo Music?

Hows the action? Are the frets level? Is the neck too wide?
  2. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    i would love to know too, I'm in the market for a 6-string right now. I just want anything with a WIDE string spacing.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The action can be adjusted depending on what you like, as on all basses, so you cant really say as far as that goes. The frets is anotehr thing. The goal is to have level frets on all basses but sometimes they slip up a little. Its going to be different on every bass.
  4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I picked one up about two weeks ago and haven't stopped playing it. I posted to the thread, but for ease of reference, her's what I wrote (you're right, that thread is huge!):

edit: just realized that you're talking about the other 6, not the neck through .... mine is the neck-through, not the Prestige. I did play the Z Prestige fretless at Rondo, very cool bass and I was a little bit tempted, but the neck-through won me over. At any rate, here's the info on the neck through, it may help since there are a lot of common features bewteen the two ......... end edit:

(original post)
    The bass is a neck-through construction, 5 piece neck (3 maple & 2 rosewood), body is ash. It's finished nicely (all three I played were) with a really high gloss sheen. The fretboard is rosewood, 24 fret, 34" scale length.

It's amazing how inexpensive this bass is, especially once you pick it up and play it. There are definitely several areas where they have "cheaped" out to keep the price down. First of all, the strings are crap ... you gotta figure on replacing them almost immediately. I'll likely be putting TI's on during this next week. Second, the tone pots (bass & treble) don't seem to do a damn thing at all! I mean it, it as if they just stuck them there for decoration or something, they don't do a frigging thing. Third, the tuners (basically look like a Gotoh knock-off) look just a little suspect, like they probably won't hold well or last that long. Don't get me wrong, right now they work fine, it's just something about they way they look that makes you want to say "Hmmm"...

But aside from those three things, the bass is great. The active/passive push/pull volume control is very good. The bass has a nice, mellow passive sound and the active side seems aggressive. I haven't yet played it in a working situation, but the thing was smoking' hot in my house. I put it through my Hartke 3500/410 rig and it was equally as thunderous as my SRX505 (which is singularly the most powerful bass I have ever owned). Like I said, plan on blending your sound with the amp EQ, those bass/treble pots aren't worth s***. I have no idea what it records like yet, and that's important to me (I do a lot of studio work).

The frets are nicely dressed and the fretboard is clean, no rough edges or spurs. The spacing is a little wide (2 1/4" at the nut, 3 5/8" at the bridge), but that doesn't bother me at all (I'm an upright player, used to a wide, chunky neck).

It took me about an hour to set up this bass, the D string was an especially big pain in the neck. There are individual saddle tuners, and the adjustments were a bit tedious using the miniscule allen key provide by Brice. If you buy this bass, go spend a few bucks on a good allen key, the one they give you is horrible. The neck was completely in tune after the adjustments at every fret on every string ... very impressive! After setting it up, there was nominal string buzz on the D and E strings in the middle fret range (7 to 10), but it doesn't come through at all when amplified.

The B string is as good as the B on either of my 5's (Ibanez SRX 505 and Fender MIA) ... probably will be better once I get a good set of strings on it.

I know it's said on this thread all of the time, but BE PREPARED TO SPEND SOME TIME SETTING THIS BASS UP!!! If you expect to come home and play this thing right out of the box you're going to be very disappointed. If you don't have the background or patience to spend some time with the bass, get the axe to a tech guy and let him do it (or her, as the case may be). These basses have to be set up to sound and play properly!! (but then, again, doesn't everyone do a set up on each bass they buy?? and if not, why not??)

Finally, let me say this .... I set a limit on this 6 string purchase of $1200, I didn't want to spend more than that yet on a 6 until I know that it's something I really want to pursue. I tried 5 basses over the past three weeks ... a Washburn xb600, Ibanez SR506, Peavey Axcelerator and a Yamaha TRB-6. Some were new, some were used, but all were in good shape. The Brice blew them all away, although the Yamaha was a close second. The money wasn't important to me, the bass was. And for my personal taste and playing style (basically jazz & funk) this was an excellent choice to explore the 6 string world.

I wouldn't think that any of the TB 6+ string heavyweights would be all that impressed with the Brice (or maybe they would), but I'm not sure that they would be particularly impressed with the others, either. (end of original post)

After these past couple of weeks, I'm more impressed than ever. I put TI flats on the bass, excellent sound (for me) and the B really tightened up. I still haven't recorded with it yet (not till next week) but I've played it out live three times and I love it.

Pix will be available in the next few days when I can get some time to get some decent shots. All I can say is, if you want to get into a 6 without a massive investment (under $1000-1200) you really can't go wrong. I've tweaked the set up a few more times and the bass is great. I'm very, very happy.

Here's a quick pic from a private Christmas Eve Mass:

Again, If anyone wants more info, feel free to PM me
  5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Wow, thanks for the thorough review!

About the neck through, I can't find it on their site, is it for sale on the Rondo Music website or only in the store?

Thanks again for the review, it helps alot.
  6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Rondo carries them on their web site every now and then. They usually have a couple in stock, contact either Kurt or Tommy for some more info. The price is the same as the Prestige, $329.

Here's a link for some better views:
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    FWIW I've got the precursor to the Prestige, the old V2 6 string in a fretless and my experience is similar to pointbass's. I've gigged and recorded with the bass and it found it to be a solid, workmanlike instrument that I feel confident pulling out for any situation despite of its low price.

Mine needed a setup desperately and I'm not a big fan of dual truss rod basses, but this one seems to be working fine.