Brice V2 Fretless 5 Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott D, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey all, I just recieved my Brice Active Fretless 5 string today, and just thought I'd share my praise.
    It's got a beautiful black quilt top. In some light, it looks sort of greenish.
    All the hardware is gold, and everything is nice and tight. Tuners tune well, etc. The bridge is awesome. It's a Top Load, really heavy, and high quality. I'm not really a fan of Gold hardware, but this looks nice. Two of the knobs when turned hard move in the control cavity, nothing that a little glue can't fix. No battery clip, some some adhesives.
    Controls are confusing (For an active bass...) Neck Vol/Bridge Vol/Blend/Tone. I don't see why you need Independent pickup controls and a blend, but whatever.
    The B is pretty good, but probably could be better with a setup.
    This bass has some serious Mwah. It just sounds great. Tone is dark, but it's got some snap to it, it reminds me of a Warwick.
    The neck is great. Very comfortable. Some were saying that it's really thin, but that's not completely true. It's got a little chunk to it, and all down the neck there is a little flat spot on the back of the neck for your thumb. Neck is unfinished, which is great. The neck is very stiff. The UPS guy delivered it to here, and it sat outside in the cold Minnesota weather (seriously about 3 degrees F) and went straight up to my room, and the neck is fine. We can thank the dual trussrods for that.
    Bridge spacing is semi-wide compared to some of the 5's i've played. It's pretty light, and just hangs horizontal (think Bill Dickens). Pickups provide nice thumbrests. They look to be exactly the same size as EMG HZ's, and the control cavity could probably accomadate any preamp.
    I will get some pics as soon as I have time. For $159, this is a great bass. When i get some more money, I'll be in the market for a matching Fretted 5 V2.
    If you want any more info, just post it. As of right now, it would be a huge pain to get soundclips, so please don't ask. Also, the CNB cases really aren't that good. The lid is pretty floppy, and the case doesn't totally close. I hope this helped.

Scott D.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it growls like the dickens.
  2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    awsome man! i've wanted to know how they compare to essex also... (coughcough-gearwhore-coughcough) ;).
  3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, i never had a fretless Essex. But i see what Kurt is talking about with the better construction, this thing is basically flawless. Every piece feels solid (except for the knobs...)
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Very nice looking.

5. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Hey, that's pretty sweet!

...just remember to keep track of where you set it down, ok?... :eek: :D ;)
  6. I'm glad to see someone else got one of these. My parents were super nice this xmas and bought me one in blue. Its just like romeoarmada said. It is the first 5 and the first fretless I've owned and I love it. Perfect construction and I havent noticed the problem with the knobs that you mentioned.

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ha, Yeah timmy. I'll try and pay attention. You know, the same exact thing happened to my ATK. I loosend the strings to raise the pickup (had to wedge something in there) and i look, and it's backbowed. That's why it's buzzy when i'm playing. I don't know if its the trussrod, I haven't looked/cared. It's still strong and sturdy, unlike the Essex which was very wobbly. Nothing is cracked, just bent.
    Ugly-Nice to hear you got one too. I really wanted another fretless, and I never really noticed that these were only $159. The battery mine came with was veeeerrrrry odd. I wasn't getting any sound from my brice when I plugged it in, I was like "Oh Sh*t." But I checked the battery with my tounge, and it was powered. So just for kicks, I switched around the battery with the one in my ATK. When in the ATK, the preamp fed back! I decided to ditch that battery, so it's all fine now. I need to get some flats for it, i really hate Rounds on a fretless. I have Fretted for that sound. But I'll just wait till I get some more money (the holidays took a hefty chunk out of my money...) and then i'll get some 5 Flats, hopefully Tapered B+E. You know, my "Flame Top" is more like a "Lame Top". You can only see the "Flame" when it's in the right amount of light. I really doubt that this is A REAL top. I really wanted the Amber one, because that was beautiful. Damn. Out of stock. Oh well.

Scott D.