Brice V2 Specs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ReeseyC, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ReeseyC

ReeseyC

Jun 30, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm a little stumped on this one, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any insight.

I have a Brice V2 5-string fretless at home – I received it as a birthday present about 15 years ago. I played with it for a while, but I eventually got a T-Bird and a Squier Precision (I was in a harder rock band and the fretless sound didn't work for them).

The bass sat for a while unused, but now I'm thinking of returning to it; I'm in a new band and I think the sound might be perfect for the music we're playing. Unfortunately, one (or more) of the pots is definitely shot, and since I have to replace that one anyway, I was thinking of just rewiring the whole damn thing.

Problem is, I have no idea what kind of electronics I need to rewire this bass (and no idea which knob does what). I've looked around and can't find a spec list; I also emailed Rondo, but because it was discontinued more than a decade ago, Kurt informed me that they don't have any details on what equipment was used in it.

Even though I have two other basses, this one has sentimental value as it was the first one I ever received, and if nothing else, working on a rewire would be a good learning experience. So, I'm putting it out here: does anybody know 1) a place where I can get a complete wiring set to do this work, 2) the specs on the equipment so I can buy the parts individually, and/or 3) how to determine which knob does what?

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. (Also, if your response is going to be "Brice sucks, buy a new bass" or "just play your other basses," let's just pretend I'm already aware of these options and save ourselves the trouble.)

2. Is this an active bass or a passive one?

3. ReeseyC

ReeseyC

Jun 30, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's active- here are a couple of pictures of the setup, if that helps at all. I know the knobs are neck volume, bridge volume, blend and tone (but I have no idea which is which).

Brice Bass Electronics.jpeg Brice Bass Front.jpeg

4. I would rewire it for VVT or VBT, plus some other control of your choice in the fourth hole. Active pickups typically use 25k pots, although 50k and even 100k can be used. Capacitance is typically 0.1uF, although you can use whatever value you prefer. (Note that the signal has a lower impedance than with passive pickups, so you should be tending toward higher capacitances.)

5. ReeseyC

ReeseyC

Jun 30, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ah, okay. I'll have to do some research on what other controls I could throw in the fourth hole, but this is a huge help in terms of getting started.

Next step is working up the nerve to actually undertake this project; I've gotten pretty good at soldering and making more minor repairs/replacements in my Squier, but that has fewer parts and wires in it. But, worst-case scenario, I already have two other basses, and working on this one can only help if something goes wrong with either of those.

Thanks for your help!

6. Varitones and bass cut controls are popular choices for passive pickups, but won't be as useful with active pickups. Likewise, series/parallel switches and phase inversion switches are not options in this case. So some other things to consider would be a pickup selector switch, a killswitch, or a "producer knob." (A pot that does nothing, so you can twiddle it when someone complains about your tone, until they leave you alone.)

ReeseyC likes this.
  7. ReeseyC

ReeseyC

Jun 30, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just an update: I successfully replaced all the pots, and the bass sounds pretty good – I couldn't figure out what to do with the fourth hole, so I just replaced the dual-gang pot that was in there with a single pot. (I figure I just won't really mess with it either way, so it shouldn't be an issue.) Thanks for all your help with this!

Now that it's back in working order, I think I might try to make some modifications to it; the tone is a little too smooth and warm for my taste, so I raised the action and ordered some new strings to see if that helps. I know buying a new bass would be less time-consuming, but I like the idea of having sort of a Frankenstein-type bass that I can use to test out new equipment and sounds.

Last Rebel likes this.
  8. Red Cell

Red Cell

Jan 31, 2004
    Austin, MN
    The other thing that you could do if you wanted an active bass is drop in one of the tone monster preamps off eBay if you aren't looking to spend a bunch.

Last Rebel likes this.
  9. ReeseyC

ReeseyC

Jun 30, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh, it is an active bass – my larger concern was trying to figure out which knobs did what and how to replace all the pots without screwing everything up.

Last Rebel and Red Cell like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2021