Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice v26 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smelt, Jan 23, 2003.

1. smelt

smelt

Jan 23, 2003
    Hello,

Very interesting forum, guys. Glad to be a part of it. I'm new here, so forgive me if this has already been addressed.

Ok,
    I'm thinking of the Amber Brice V2-6 from Rondo Music. I'm a seasoned bass player, and not afraid of "foreign" copy basses. In other words, I think many Indonesian and Mexican copies play better than American versions. Anyway, the pics of that Brice with the quilted maple blows me away!

Anyone have one of these? What's the deal with the "agathis" wood? I know it's simulated wood similar to alder, but how does it hold up? Also, since that wood is so much lighter (my main bass is solid maple), doesn't the bass fall forward by the headstock, because it's not balanced? I mean, doesn't the neck weigh so much more than the body?

Thanks for any help. I'm thinking of expanding from a 4 string after all these years, and I want to get an inexpensive 6 string or higher that will hold up well and I won't be afraid if I drop it. hehe

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    smelt, welcome to talkbass.

I'm also considering a Brice 6, mainly because I've been incorporating chords in my church bass playing lateley and I think that a 6 string would be a nice way to accomodate that. But I don't think I want to spend more than $300 so the Brices are very attractive.

As for neck dive, yes, there will be some. I have a Dean Edge 5 which has a basswood body and a large maple/walnut laminate neck. With that ultra lightweight body you would think that there would be neck dive out the yin yang. However, the long upper horn on my Dean minizes the effect. The 6 strings, with their larger necks, have a bit more of a problem, but it's still not that bad. Since the Brice basses have a similar long upper horn, I'd think that they would not be that bad.

Look at the Essex Megathread and do a search for Brice information from users.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There's a review of the Brice fretless 6 on harmonycentral.com.

I wrote the guy (I don't remember his name) a message about it a while back and he responded quickly. Perhaps you can send your question to him.

The electronics on those basses seem a bit odd...they're described as Active but the controls are Volume, Volume, Blend (belt and suspenders here I guess) and Tone (according to Kurt at Rondo). Perhaps there is a preamp to buffer the pups from the cable.

At that point, I opted to defret my Squier P Special 5 rather than buy a fretless 6 so I didn't seek any more info on the Brice.

4. smelt

smelt

Jan 23, 2003
    bump
    ;)

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Agathis doesn't come from trees? I never heard that before, is this true?

6. No, it's wood. It's a member of the pine family.

I had and Essex bass from agathis. very heavy. but solid, real "old school"

7. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    moltar rocks is right - agathis is a conifer. It's pretty soft, but it has a nice tone.

My Brice V2 5string balances great sitting or with a strap. There is no neck dive.

The pickups are active, and the tone control is a passive treble roll-off.

It's a super nice bass for the money, and it really gets a great tone.

-S

8. smelt

smelt

Jan 23, 2003
    Thanks for the responses so far guys. I'm feeling a bit better towards the Brice v2 6string now. For the people that play them, a couple of other questions:

Is the neck thin (like an old Jackson guitar) or more rounded (like an old Fender bass)?

How well does it stay intonated? Are you constantly tweaking the tress rod? Is it a struggle to stay in tune?

Sorry for all the questions... I have a really nice Washburn 4 string with a Kahler tremolo...very old school with a fat neck....they don't make them in that style anymore. I want to expand to 6 string, and I don't want to drop a grand right now.....but I don't want such a loss in quality.

Thanks

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Most 6s I've seen have a wide-thin neck profile. If it's too C shaped, you wouldn't be able to get your hand around it...unless you've got mighty big mitts.

A good friend of mine has a pair of Conklin Groove Tools 7 strings and while the neck is thin, the fingerboard is W-I-D-E...

I think that Rondo offers a trial period...you might want to check on that.

As for other 6 string bargains...I swore that I've never do it but fell in love with a Soundgear 6 (SR406) at a Guitar Center list sale (before Halloween '02) and ended up buying an all black one (brand new) for $299. I'm having the time of my life with it.

Good luck!

10. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco

Smelt -

I have a Brice V2 5 string fretless. The neck is fairly wide, but it is thin in the front-to-back dimension. It's very fast and playable.

I had to tweak the truss rod when I got the bass to set it up to my liking, but I haven't had to do anymore adjusting since then. The neck has been very stable.

Staying in tune on a fretless is pretty much up to me... ;)

But the tuners are solid and keep their tune, if that's what you mean.

I wrote a longer review in a different thread about Brice fretless 5 strings. In my experience, these Brice basses are easily the quality of a Washburn bass, and are nicer than many basses from overseas that I have played.
    -S