Brice vs Essex?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mandobass, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

quick question

when people say "get an essex bass, they're great value" does this include Brice too?

I know the same guy deals with the manufactureres, but i didnt know if there was a noticeable in the build quality of value or these respective makers.
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Genereally, the essex and brice basses are lumped togather in the reccomendation. Both are regarded as quality instruments for the price. I just ordered an essex jazz myself :).
  3. I read an online review somewhere about the Brice.

The reviewer said he was disappionted completely in the quality and tone, it was more of a toy than a real instrument.

Essex - For the price, I've heard good things.

Rogue - yeah, they may be bad, but I bet they'd spank a Brice.

My 2 centavos - buy a used Ibanez Soundgear. A real bass from a real company that offers a measure of quality, playability, and tone that is 3x anything mentioned above.
  4. the ultimate compliment was given by Woodchuck

He brought a bunch of basses to a recording session, and was told to use the Essex J.

That's good enough for me.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Your funny.
  6. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

His funny:confused:
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a Brice violin bass, and it's as good as the Essex I tried. Quality and tone are fine. It's a violin bass, you get what you expect out of that design....

The Essex I played was fine. Very solid, good quality.

I suspect Rogue and Brice are the same thing, manufactured by the same people. No confirmation yet, but if you compare some of the models they look to be exactly the same.

I've played plenty of Ibanez basses, and I'd have to pass on the brand, out of personal preference.
    I think the Brice or the Essex are much better basses for the money.

So there's a first-hand review for ya.
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Being Fenderish in design, the Essex instruments lend themselves to off the shelf upgrades of bridges, pickups, tuners, pickguards, etc.

The Brice instruments are more unique and you might be stuck with certain bits of hardware.
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Dude, why are you taking the time to dog instruments you haven't even played yourself? I'm sure somewhere their is a review of someone saying a sadowsky, or fodera sucks.....should I buy stock on that just because some net clown says so?

I own an SX jazz, and I wouldn't trade if for any of the soungears I have ever played.....that's a guitar players bass IMO
  10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm pretty sure, as i made a slight poke at before, he is joking.
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well......WHO ASKED YOU! FREAK! :D

BTW, I just posted a bunch of Spector info on another thread you might be interested in checking out!
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Another tidbit to add- I did some research and asked Kurt about some stuff, and it appears that some fo the Brice and Rogue stuff is the same model with a different name and made in the same factory- that said, how can the rogue spank the brice????:confused:
  13. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Woodchuck's SX J is stock isn't it tufnuts?
  14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I've played the lower end Soundgears in the music store and I will reserve my detailed opinions other than to say my Essex SJB-62 kicks its ass. The soundsgears sounded cheap and felt really cheap. To think that you're gonna get quality because a "real" guitar company like Ibanez makes it is plain ignorant. My 2 cents.
  15. Fact: I have played several Ibanez soundgear basses, all of them played nice, sounded fine and seemed to be well made for the dough... I've never played the bottom line models, so I can't comment on them.

Fact: I read a bad review on a Brice.

Fact: The guy who started this thread obviously wanted opinions, so I gave mine.

I guess the Rogue might take it’s top and bottom horns, use them as hands, and hold the Brice up by it’s headstock, and give it a few little swats on the fretboard???

16. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
  17. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    No offence intended, mate. I just thought your advice basically meant "get an Ibanez because its made by a "real" guitar company". If thats the case then I'd call that an ignorant statement.

And I just made a point that the lower-end Ibanezs(about the same price as the Essex basses) that I played felt cheap and sounded cheap. I'm not saying all Ibanezs are bad. Only the ones that cost as much as the Essex are just crap..the ones I've played, at least.

Sorry if I've offended you in any way.
  18. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    yes 'chucks is stock as is mine.
  19. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I live near the store so I've tried 'em both. I own 2 SXs and no Brices. I think both brands are a good value for the money, but SX is a better value in my book. Some Rogue models are apparently the same as some Brice models. I don't care what it says on the headstock, I care how it plays, although the Stony HXB Brice w/ "The Sound of Rock Power" on the headstock is hilarious! :D I recorded w/ my BG-205 w/ stock pups and got compliments from the engineer and the songwriter. I did change the bridge.

I will get a 3/4 size SX when they get them back in stock. I will probably get an Ash Jazz when they come in w/ good necks. I really don't need more basses, but I keep buying these because they make trying different things very affordable, i.e. before I only had 4 stringers but now I have a 5er and a fretless and soon I'll have a 3/4 P.
  20. :bassist: