1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brice vs Squier/Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blue4, Oct 30, 2013.

1. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I'm looking to get a short scale 5 string. I've found an Ibanez semi hollow that looks promising and a Brice. Brice is right in that Squier price range, which is a brand I am familiar with. How do these stack up against each other in terms of build quality? BTW the ibby is about$600. I like the tone of both. Just want to know if the Brice is in the same league build wise. Thanks

2. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    I have one of the Brice SS basses, and I love it. The build quality is solid - it doesn't feel like a toy. The neck, after a little tweaking by my luthier (who laughed when I brought the bass to him...), is very good, with nice low action and solid intonation.

I replaced the electronics (the original preamp was very hissy, and the pickups were kinda bland) with some EMG 40CS's I found on cheap the Tampa CL, and added a BTS EQ, and I am very happy. The only caveat on replacing the pickups is that, while the the stock pickups are nominally EMG 40-sized, the body route is EXACTLY 4" x 1.5", so I had to gently file the real EMG pickups until they fit the openings. I was glad the EMG's were used and inexpensive.

Be advised that short scale B strings are not plentiful out there. I originally put a set of SS 5 string DR Hi Beams on the bass because that was about all I could find, but the .125 B was a bit floppy for my taste. The bass has a string-thru or top load bridge, which helps, but I chose to mod the string path for the B with a 'double string thru' approach, a la Birdsong, which allows me to use a std 34" B string. I have Dad XL 45 - 135 strings on it right now.

I have about $500 in the bass right now. It is a fun bass to play, and with reasonably fresh strings, sounds really good live.

3. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    So it's in that Ibby SR300 or Squier VM/CV range?

I'm thinking I'll probably go E-C with this since I'm happy with my SR-405QM already B-G.

4. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    Rondo price for the Brice is $299.99. Everything else I did was aftermarket $$. If you are going E - C with the bass you won't have to play with a B string mod, as there are lots of short-med scale strings for that application.

Have fun!

5. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I had a Brice 5 frettless very nice for the price point. Being a G&L guy I traded it for a hartky 4x10 bass cab and now have a 1997 L2500 frettless

6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Well, I just found out how much the wife has spent already on Christmas presents so the $600 Ibby is out. Looks like I will be seeing for myself how the Brice is. I'm looking forward to getting it, it looks very similar to my SR405 and I like that 16mm spacing. It will be my first 6 bolt neck as well. Hopefully I can get some stuff sold without having to resort to selling on the internet and eating the shipping.