1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brice Z6 vs Defiant 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Sep 23, 2010.

1. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I own an HXB-406. A bit heavy, but solid for the money. Played it for years. In fact, when it's done with the re-finish and is put back together, I'll be playing it again.

2. Thanks for the feedback. The only reason I haven't considered the HXB is because of string spacing.

I currently have 2 5-strings that are 19mm, and I plan on keeping and playing with them so I don't want to have to jump back and forth to wildly different string spacings.

The Z6 and the Defiant seem to be wider spacing.

3. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I've played the Defiant 5. I wasn't all that impressed to be honest.

4. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I own a Defiant 5'er. As well as an HXB. I will say the string spacing on the Defiant does feel more comfortable BUT, of course :p that opinion will vary. I haven't tried the Z-series, though. Dunno much about them. My HBX is a very nice player and I use it for recording. My Defiant I use for live playing, as it's easy to dial in a tone without any hassle.

I like my Defiant a lot. It's a passive bass which may or may not be the kicker, depending on if you prefer passives over actives. I do prefer passives myself if only because a) batteries are a pain in the ass b) my HBX has a crappy battery compartment. It's hard to wiggle it in there.

The Defiant is a lil' heavy, and does NOT come with a brass nut as Rondo advertises (I informed Kurt of this typo). It isn't as versatile as my HBX, but it has some good solid tones, is very well built, and the only thing really needed is a fret leveling as there's a high fret or two. Neck is very comfortable, hangs well on the strap with minimal neck dive, and is well made. The electronics aren't THE BEST ever, by any means, but for 389.00 they're not horrid either.

It's too bad stores don't carry them :/ as it's always better to try before you buy BUT Rondo has such a mellow return policy that if you end up hating one of their basses, you can just send it back.

5. Was it tone or playability that turned you off? Or something else?

6. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Well, I haven't had too much time with it, but it seemingly left a lot to be desired. I didn't care for the set up, but that's all preference (to some degree).

Tone was just left me "in the middle" where I couldn't get to any particular sound I thought was incredibly usable. I'm not saying it can't be; in fact, I think it can, but I believe it will take some tinkering to get it there. Just don't expect out of the box wonders.

7. I do believe that the Z6 is 19mm. I'd go for that one. The Defiant recently got slightly wider spacing. It used to be just like the HXB. For me, 17-17.5mm spacing is Borderline. I can't play anything narrower. (well... I could, but I won't like it)

8. Wow, I've really never taken a good look at these 6 strings. The Green Defiant 6 screams at me. Love the color, just don't like the 35" scale, the small string spacing, and lack of Active off/on electronics. The Z6 (blue) has bigger string spacing, and the off/on switch, plus a battery compartment.. Only quarrel is again, the 35" scale. Maybe I'm asking for too much lol.