Brices... are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Aug 18, 2004.

Their basses....

Thier 6 string basses. I heard so many great things about'em
    I want to get one, but I would like y'alls input on'em
    Are they worth it?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Have you done a search?
  3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    From what I know Brices are basically the same as the Essex (SX) basses with a bit of Bling added on (nice tops and such) and from most of the threads you'll find if you do a search, they are an excellent value for the money. That being said, they are INEXPENSIVE instruments and will not be up to the build quality and parts used in the more expensive standard basses. But you will not likely find any new bass for less than $300 that is any better in any significant way.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Actual owners need to chime in here. I own a Brice Douglas 5 (I call it the Marcus Miller Bass). The Brices are of a better quality than the Essex (SX) brand. They are a very good value for the money. Obviously, they are very basic instruments but they are all gig worthy. Mine plays very well and has an extremely high output for a passive bass. I just did an outdoor gig using a 500w amp, a 2x10 and a 1x15 and my stage volume was at 3-3-1/2 tops! The 6 strings are different beasts. Never played one but I will assume that they play and sound just as well. Can you believe I only paid $199 for this beauty??
  5. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL

I have a Brice v2 5-string with black quilt top. Very high output, it is active, and man.. Its got some Booty to it. I also own Higher end basses like Fender Jazz and Warwick, but the Brice holds it own as it is my only 5'er , and its got major bass and some fairly good mids! Has a lilttle of its own growl to it. GO FOR IT! :bassist:
  6. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I too own at the very high end (MM Stingray, G&L 2000, Fodera Emperor, etc.) and also own a brice fretless 6 V2. For the money it is probably the best bass I have ever owned and possibly one of the best values in general. There are some pros and cons as corners have to be cut when delivering such a cheap instrument.

Pros- overall nice tone and overall sound, high output, good feel, nice body and great custon bass looks.

Cons- unfinished maple neck feels a bit cheap (like a fender squier), and the controls are screwey-- there are two volumes and a blend pot that counteract eachother. People seem to get around this by leaving the blend in the middle and using only the volume.

If it tells you anything, I loved mine so much, I insisted on walking out of Rondo with the floor model I demoed (at no discount) because I wanted a bass set up exactly as the one I played. It was that sweet off the bat.
  7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have an HXB-406 Bubinga. A very nice bass for the money. Sounds good, plays well, low action. Definately good enough for gigging. I also have an Essex, and the Brice quality is definately better.
  8. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I am curious about your HXB. I looked at them and found them to be really sweet but I ultimately got the V2 becuase the body finish on all of the HXB floor models was worn off, and not from abuse or over use. I am wondering if you have encountered this issue or if perhaps Rondo just put blemished models on the floor. Any comments on the finish?

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I own a bryce douglass j5 fretless, and I like it lots. At least fender mim quality, sound, and playability. Shipping strings are junk, and it required a pretty thorough setup, but I can do that for $189;) Beats shelling $700 for something else comparable. See my sig line for what's in my stable I compare it to in terms of quality...I won't play junk, but I like my bryce just fine...
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No problems with the finish being worn off. The only problem is there are some spots on the back where the stain is thinner than the rest, leaving these spots lighter in color. The top clear coat is fine. It really isn't as bad as it sounds. Overall I think the finish is better than most basses in this price range.
  11. Thanks so much you guys!

looks like the Brice is a winner.
    Can't wait to get a 6'er!! :hyper:
  12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    PM Philbiker about his. He bought a great Brice 6'er fretless, and it plays beautifully, as nice as any I've played short of a very high-end bass. I'm sure he can give you more details.